Wiring your lights

Scoobrs

New elf
Hey all,

Couldn't really figure out the best place to post this so I thought the general family room would be best. When everyone does thier multiple channel low voltage strings, how do you all get the power to them? I was thinking about this earlier and was considering purchasing some multi-core wire so that I could easily run multiple channels without the clutter of a whole heap of figure 8 cable everywhere... What is everyones thought on this? Primarily I would be running leds so the current draw would be low. I found some 25 way multi-core wire on ebay and was thinking of utilising something like this and running 1 thicker gauge for a common earth.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25-way-Multicore-screened-cable-wire-24-AWG-7-2-25C-1-m-/320463909371?pt=UK_Consumer_Professional_RL&hash=item4a9d2331fb

That stuff above is expensive and I was only using that as an example, I'm sure cheaper stuff could be sourced either locally or china.

Discuss!

Regards,
Eric.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Remember that this cable is rated at 1 amp per core so you would have to ensure that your common had enough shared cores to carry the total return current. But this method definetly may save you some setup time. But the cable you linked to is expensive and your paying for shielded cable when really you dont need it. Another option is to use multicore security cable which you can get in 6 core and rated at approx 4 amps per core and is around $62 for 100 metres you can get it from here
But remember the cable you refered to and the one i gave to the link to are not rated for 240v. If you want for mains power then there are other options but a lot more expensive

Scoobrs

New elf
Thank you for the idea Eddy,

Was always going to be a low voltage setup and really looking to keep the cabling to a minimum to save me some headaches!!!

Regards,
Eric.

JPB

Full time elf
Because I am using a REN-C/Grinch combo I have my SSRs located with my lights. For my wiring I am using normal Cat 5 between the ginch and the SSR for control and for power I am using figure 8 speaker wire of various gauges depnding on power requirements. I also have power supplies at a few locations so none of my runs are too long.

Jon