Working on a new pixel controller.

dpitts

Apprentice elf
Working on a new 16 string controller that uses a new processor from microchip that comes out next month. The PIC32MZ sample chips i have been using for testing are working out as expected. The ability for chip to receive 64 universes of E131 without cpu intervention is pretty awesome. The board is almost finalized and ready to send to the board house. The pixel port placement was inspired by the E682. After looking at the various places to place pixel port I came to the conclusion this was the best way as to not cross over ground and power planes with data. Since original design i have switched to a 4-layer board to reduce any chance of noise.

Here are some of the specifications that we plan to meet.

* 16 pixel ports
* 25ms timing
* 3 wire and 4 wire strings (2811/18XX, 2801, 3001 and 6803 will be the first implemented)
* Read E131 with optional Ethernet connection board.
* Read Pixelnet with optional Pixelnet/DMX/Renard input board
* Read data delivered from the Falcon Pi Player that can be mounted to the back of controller.
* Output Four DMX, Pixelnet or Renard RS-485 outputs with optional RS-485 output board
* 8 strings can have the "string type' setting set to any type. The remaining 8 are split into two groups of 4 and each
group can have a different type for a total of 10 different string types.
* All strings can select any start address in 64K channel range. Actually 64K- (number of channels in string).
* Webpage and software interface. Webpage at first.
* 340+ pixels per string, but shooting for 500+ which seems very feasible at this time in testing.
* Two power inputs. Different voltages at same time. External power input for both electronics and PI.
* Ability to power electronics or PI from external source or pixel power.
* Ground terminal to connect to the soon to be released 16 port power injection board.
* Optional LED pads to install LEDS if you know the voltage you will be using for that side of the board.

Although we added the ability for a PI to connect directly to the back it is not needed and an E131 or Pixelnet input board can be used. Although for $45.00 it is not a bad way to create a standalone show.

Hoping to have something to show in July at the Academy.

Attachments

• Falcon 16 v2.jpg
    Falcon 16 v2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 62

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Sounds like a powerful little unit, what are you expecting it to cost?

dpitts

Apprentice elf
Kaden said:
Sounds like a powerful little unit, what are you expecting it to cost?

Not sure yet. But maybe about $125 for kit and $160.00 for assembled. The shipping to Australia may be an issue. But I am willing to give board layout and firmware away to a few of the ACL members i know and trust to run a coop.

Kaden

dpitts said:
Not sure yet. But maybe about $125 for kit and $160.00 for assembled. The shipping to Australia may be an issue. But I am willing to give board layout and firmware away to a few of the ACL members i know and trust to run a coop.

That's good pricing considering the sheer number of pixels you are hoping to support!

dpitts

Apprentice elf
Kaden said:
dpitts said:

That's good pricing considering the sheer number of pixels you are hoping to support!

FalconChristmas.com is all about making pixels affordable for everyone. We are non profit. That is why we gave the Falcon Pi Player away and did not charge for it.

mborg10

Michael Borg
If shipping is an issue, perhaps a bulk shipment would lower the cost. I like the sound of it though and look forward to seeing it. It certainly gives a nudge to the competition out there.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Dave has shared some details in our phone conversations. This is a new chip that will start shipping in may. This vhip is 300mips, most of our current controllers are 100mips. Dave got some samples and has built a prototype. Board easily receives 64-96 universes. Gating item will be how much it can ouput. Dave is looking for 500-680 pixels per string times 16 strings. Optionally plug a pi into this controller and u have a show computer and 20-30k channels of output in a 3x7" board. Dave has optional daughter boards to give you pixelnet, e1.31, renard, dmx. Base kit around $80-90 with it configured for your system $120-$130. Again is setting a new standard. Great job dave.

dpitts

Apprentice elf
Update.

Received processors today so I built one controller of first version. The first version I placed the SD card holder footprint 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Already corrected it for the revision. here are some pics with E131 Phy board option and a couple with Pi mounted on back for Pi input/player option.
Nothing got hot when I powered it up.
smile.gif
The processor is running and Ethernet is working. Good news so far. Microchip also is updating the errata to indicate that the SQI port is indeed fuctional with some minor limitations that should not effect this design.

Attachments

• IMG_7999 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7999 - Copy.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8002 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_8002 - Copy.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8004.JPG
    IMG_8004.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8006.JPG
    IMG_8006.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 57

Kaden

That is one serious looking board! Well done, I am glad to see this is progressing.