keegensnemo

New elf
power supply made from shark tech
[SIZE=medium] model: [/SIZE]
[/size]
[SIZE=medium]ATX-620-N12S[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]​
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[/size][SIZE=medium]Maximum Power Output: 620W[/SIZE][/color][/size][font=arial, helvetica]Efficiency: Typical 65% @ full loadManual shut-down rocker switchMesh fan-guard for improved child safety protection
[/font][/size][font=arial, helvetica][/size]Input: 100-127V AC or 200-240V AC - selectable by switch [/font]

AC INPUT
[td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]
115V/230V - 60/50Hz [/td] [tr][td][/td][td]
DC OUTPUT [/td][td]
+3.3V [/td][td]
+5V [/td][td]
+12V [/td][td]
-12V [/td][td]
+5VSB [/td][/tr][tr][td]
550W [/td][td]
Max
Combined
Peak Watts
[/td][td]
31A [/td][td]
42A [/td][td]
25A [/td][td]
0.8A [/td][td]
2A [/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]
620W [/td][/tr]

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=medium]was thinking this could work out as i have them sitting doing nothing and i could run both 12v or 5 v off them if needed with my math one would work for my 12 string 5 v mega tree as it only going to be 42 pixel per string. [/SIZE]​

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]​

[SIZE=medium]but i could get a 5v 240 watt power supply here from local shop for 20.00 or a 12v 350 watt for 30.00 i just think the 5v 240 watt would cap out on my tree. but tree not 100% set on pixel volts yet was thinking the 5v for power to keep bill on lower end in long run but finding the 12v pixels lot cheaper in bulk then i can find the 5v pixels[/SIZE]​

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]​

damo1271

Full time elf
From the specs this looks like a perfectly suitable power supply and seems quite versatile by being able to provide 5V and 12V outputs.
It would work fine for a 12x42 pixel mega tree and you wouldn't be running the supply at its maximum capacity - which is always good.
You just need to be aware of the max combined power output, however if using only 12V and 5V then it shouldn't be a problem.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Also a lot of computer power supplies need to have a load on them to operate, You can just add a globe or a 10w resistor on the 12v line to do this as if you are turning led's on and off then the supply might go into standby and not fire up in time.
There are plenty of how to's on you tube for this.
But yes, I have used them also, mainly for testing though.

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Try not to mix 12V and 5V pixels on the same tree. I have and the white is slightly different.

Some of the guys reckon to use 5V pixels as 12V drops a lot of voltage over a resistor at the pixel so you need more power at the supply, depends on cable runs. 12V is better for long runs of small cable.

Eddy has posted elsewhere on the drawbacks of using computer power supplies in our displays. I have one for testing but I find the other PSUs cheap and easy to package with the controllers.

JPB

Full time elf
I use a few computer power supplies and have no complaints. Cheap as chips.

damo1271

Full time elf
I use PC power supplies for powering my Renards and haven't had a problem with them. They are cheap and plentiful!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you have them lying around then worth giving them a go, but you find some cheap units will not work if the 5v and 12v is too out of balance or there is no load. take note of the very low efficiency of this PSU being only 65% so this tells me these are very cheap powers supplies

But i never suggest people buy cheap computer PSU in place of a proper power supply when purchasing. But if you have them, then give them a go