WS2801 won't light up with P12R controller.....Am I missing something?

farfree2

New elf
want to create a nice light show this year P12R controller last year along with 6-5m ws2801 pixel strings and 2 power supplies from ray wu.
Link to Strings purchased HERE

Would like to use new lights in a show, but can't seem to get the lights to even light on the controller when in test mode. 12 Volt Power......to P12R. Light strip plugs into P12R (4 wire, checked and doubled checked for proper wiring).

Output is good (tested with meter)

Set IP address in controller. Programmed string to test. String type: WS2801, Speed: 1000 (have adjusted to 750-1200 with same results), Univ 8, Start Slot 1, Pixel Count 60 (60 IC Pixel sets on a string).When I set the controller into the test mode, dip switch 4 up. It runs through the bootup sequence, but I get nothing on the light strand. Updated controller from 2.5 to 2.7. Now have test pattern capability under IP config settings. Still no luck.

I've researched read, reviewed and gone over all my documents trying to get a string to light up.

Pics:
c788c285-c494-4dee-b119-0fd52cc680ba.jpg
02daf3aa-38c0-4c16-b41f-719bb68af251.jpg

ed01504f-58ae-43a4-b961-2d9b5cb0201a.jpg

Capture.png
Capture2.png

Any info/help would be appreciated

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There have been situations in the past where the 2801 data and clock wires were mislabled and were in fact the opposite, so I would try swapping the data and clock wires around. Also I have had instances where the data in and the data out were marked incorrectly, so that meant the data out was in fact the data in. None of this testing should cause any issues with your lights as long as you have the +12v connected to the right place which you seem to have and dont plug and unplug your lights when they are powered up.

farfree2

New elf
:D Thank you so much Eddy! :D I've wasted so many hours trying to figure out what I have done wrong! Frustrating that they weren't even labeled correctly to begin with! Now I know what to keep an eye out for.
I can't believe that I had 6 mislabeled strings. Switched the clock and data wires and test pattern works as it should.

Totally off subject/topic but as a close to this thread, do you have a suggestion where to start on the programming software? What would you suggest for a beginner?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
farfree2 said:
:D Thank you so much Eddy! :D I've wasted so many hours trying to figure out what I have done wrong! Frustrating that they weren't even labeled correctly to begin with! Now I know what to keep an eye out for.
I can't believe that I had 6 mislabeled strings. Switched the clock and data wires and test pattern works as it should.

Totally off subject/topic but as a close to this thread, do you have a suggestion where to start on the programming software? What would you suggest for a beginner?

The old mislabbeled trick, seen a few people get caught out with this in the past but that was last season and didnt think i would see it again this season. Glad that it was a simple fix for you

Software is a very subjective subject as everyone has their own preferences. Personally I have used LightShowPro for the last 4 years and its worked great for me. Others use LOR, Vixen3 or HLS. So if i want to be non biased then i would suggest you have a play with each of them and seeing which one you like the feel of most.

farfree2

New elf
advice taken, I'll have all 3 of them downloaded by morning and testing away. Thank you again for the help. I'm thankful it was something simple and I can move forward again in hopes of being ready this year in time.