WS2811 Modules

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
Hi guys, looking for some advise. I`m pretty sure i`m doing something wrong.
i decided to make some coro canes and i bought 100 WS2811 modules 12V.
Well, i was trying to make a test with them and i`m having some issues. When i connect the pixels to my P2 unit they start to blink randomly, i tought maybe it was some problem with connection to my P2 unit so i decided to disconnect ligths from P2. Then i connect lights directly to my PSU and as soon as i connect power cables (even with the data cable disconnected) the same randomly pattern start.
I Kept the lights connected to my PSU and connected the data cable to my P2 trying to control the pixel, no luck, they still keep the random blinking everytime i connect them to PSU.
Am i missing something here?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What speed do you have the 2811 output set at. normally with 2811 and a short cable you would run between 3000 and 3500 and the longer the cable the slower you would make that speed. I had mine at 10 metres running at 2000

candlelight

New elf
i have pretty much the same problem... spent 8 hours today trying to figure it out with no luck
I have both 2801 and 2811 pixels.. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but maybe were having the same issue..
here is my situation, 4 arch features all 2801 pixels using p12s
arch A is less than 3 feet from controller no random flashing lights on this one
arch b is approx. 9 feet from controller maybe 20 or so pixels light up,
arch C is 20 feet from controller, placed 2 null pixels in between, all 150 pixels light up or randomly flash
arch D is about 9 feet again, and only a few pixels randomly flash
using 18ga wire for data and power. there is a psu on each arch, so power is no more than 3 feet from first pixel
the second I plug them in they start randomly lighting up, flickering, changed speed on p12s setup from 750 all the way down to 300 in increments of 50 with no change what so ever??????
also same problem, even if not connected to p12s, they randomly flicker???
HELP!
having similar problems with my 2811 pixels.....

dougd

Full time elf
Not sure it solved RV's problem or not but in chat we determined he wasn't tying his grounds together and he was going to try that and see if it fixed the problem or not.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I had the same issues with the same controller and same modules. For me it was the speed like eddy said. I have mine set to 3200 now and they work great.

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
What speed do you have the 2811 output set at. normally with 2811 and a short cable you would run between 3000 and 3500 and the longer the cable the slower you would make that speed. I had mine at 10 metres running at 2000

I am performing tests so i am using only 1 meter of cable.

I use 3000 data speed, with my 2811 strings pixels it works fine.

Dougd and WilliamS gave me some guidance yesterday, i followed instructions aboyt common ground, now they dont turn on at all. I gonna make a small diagram And post it about my current wiring.

Hopefully i will save my corex canes!

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
candlelight said:
i have pretty much the same problem... spent 8 hours today trying to figure it out with no luck
I have both 2801 and 2811 pixels.. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but maybe were having the same issue..
here is my situation, 4 arch features all 2801 pixels using p12s
arch A is less than 3 feet from controller no random flashing lights on this one
arch b is approx. 9 feet from controller maybe 20 or so pixels light up,
arch C is 20 feet from controller, placed 2 null pixels in between, all 150 pixels light up or randomly flash
arch D is about 9 feet again, and only a few pixels randomly flash
using 18ga wire for data and power. there is a psu on each arch, so power is no more than 3 feet from first pixel
the second I plug them in they start randomly lighting up, flickering, changed speed on p12s setup from 750 all the way down to 300 in increments of 50 with no change what so ever? ??? ??
also same problem, even if not connected to p12s, they randomly flicker???
HELP!
having similar problems with my 2811 pixels.....

No prblem Candlelight, i dont consider this a thread hijacking, you are just sharing you experience. Your thoughts are welcome

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Have you tried resetting all the effects? Thats the area I had problems with. I reset them all to default settings, rebooted then they worked again on test pattern, put info in again (correct info) and they worked.

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
ShellNZ said:
Have you tried resetting all the effects? Thats the area I had problems with. I reset them all to default settings, rebooted then they worked again on test pattern, put info in again (correct info) and they worked.

Shelly, you are the best!!!!!!!! thank you. problem solved.
The problem was in the effect tab (P2 configuration menu), in pixel count default setting was 50, however this strip was 20 pixels,. i chage pixel count to 20 and they are working fine.