ws2811 or ws2812 12v

fiona scott

Myers lights
HI I AM GOING TO BUY RGB STRIP LIGHTS FOR NEXT YEAR TO DO THE OUT LINE OF MY HOUSE . DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT LIGHT IS BEST TO USE WS2811 OR WS2812 .MY HOUSE IS ABOUT 8M FROM THE ROAD SO SHOULD I USE 30PIXELS/M OR 60PIXELS/M.BEING SO CLOSE TO THE ROAD. ARE THEY BOTH AS GOOD AS EACH OTHER .ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT .THANKS SCOTT

AussieDoug

Full time elf
The only difference between 2811 & 2812 is the location of the chip on the strip. 2811 the chip is physically mounted on the strip where 2812 is mounted inside the LED pixel.
Anything over about 5m distance for viewing 30 pix/m is more then enough definition. If you look at 60 pix/m you then have more power injection, more channels used just for the sake of it without any great gain. (personal opinion)

Doug

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I find the 12vdc 2811 strip to be great for outline and is easier to use and program due having less current and less volatge drop to deal with compared to that of 5vdc.
Personally i dont think much is gained by having every LED on the outline being controlled when using 5vdc strip where if using the 12vdc strip then they are controlled in groups of 3 LEDs which means a lot less channels to manage when sequencing

But in the end you will get many varying opinions

fiona scott

Myers lights
OK THANKS GUYS FOR THE INFO. SO NOW TO BUY THE LIGHTS SHOULD I BUY THEM IN 5M LOTS OR DO THEY COME IN BIG ROLLS AND CUT THEM DOWN MYSELF. SHOULD I BUY THROUGH RAY WU'S SHOP . I THINK I WILL GO FOR THE WS2811 .THANKS SCOTT

AussieDoug

Full time elf
They come as a 5m roll & you are better off doing up a list of items with link
Strip
pigtails
PSU's
Then post it up here let people have a look & let you know if anything extra is required. Then send it to Ray Wu as an email & let him know that you will be paying via PayPal. Doing it this way saves you a bucket load of cash in shipping.

Doug

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These only come in 5 metre rolls as you will need to inject extra power when connecting together additional strips