WS2811 pixels not working together

qberg

New elf
I am relatively new to the RGB smart pixel world, but here is my conundrum....I have a couple different types of WS2811 pixels (all 12V 8mm bullets, rectangles, and C9s with the WS2811 protocol). I tested them together to make sure they would work together and all was fine until I started laying it all out and now they aren't. It seems my C9s http://www.holiday-light-express.com/light_information.php?partnumb=RGB-WS2811-C9tech-50&stock_printout=39 in Stock are the crux of my issue as the bullets and rectangles, both of which I purchased from holidaycoro.com work seamlessly together. The C9s however, will receive data from the bullets and rectangles and display fine, but to continue on and put a bullet or rectangle after the C9s, I get nothing. Also, some of the C9s can't transmit very far....not even up the 5' leaders that they came with, but if we shorten it to a foot it works fine. Voltages are fine at the end of the string at 11V All my connectors are weatherproof, soldered using silver solder and in wired in series. I was planning on using the 8mm bullets as null repeaters when I had long runs between strands, but I can't get them to talk to each other anymore. Any help would be appreciated as I am not even sure how I am going to lay this out off my Pixlite4 if I need a new output for every strand.

tojo12

New elf
I've had a lot of these trouble with my pixels, just as you describe. Each of every sort works fine by itself, but when starting to mix various sorts of pixels strange things happens. I've tried different speed settings but that didn't matter.

My solution was to have only one pixel sort on each output, and if I have to use null pixels I use the same sort (or try different pixels to see which works), and now everything is working fine. The backside of this is that you will need more outputs...

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Chips will vary from different batches as many of the lower cost DIY lighting options will sometimes use factory second parts to keep the price down. There are also clones so you will see variations with these.

If the data specification of the chip is followed then these should work, but unfortunatly this is not always the case

Ive seen this before when using 6803 a few years back

What you will find in many cases is that if you swap around the string so the one that doesnt work is now the first one then it will work with the other. But this doesnt work everytime

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Had a similar problem with my 2811 stars transmitting into my 2811 strip. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get any strip to work if connected to the end of the stars. Had to rearrange my lights to make it all work. Some pixels, despite apparently being the same type, just don't want to play together.