WS2811 strobe pixels from Ray Wu store

justinj

Apprentice elf
Just thought I'd write a quick update to keep people informed.
-12 second bug no longer exists :)
-Multiple parameters now available for people to tweak
Still working on a few other bits and pieces but it's looking really promising now :)
Is there any particular features people want to have added?

justinj

Apprentice elf
Kane said:
Ah, bummer. I've just pulled one of the covers off one of my ACL strobes, and unfortunately, they don't fit over the new strobes...
What about if you cut the base of the cover off so it was just the enlarged section? It doesn't matter as much as the ACL strobes because they don't need to be waterproof.

dougd

Full time elf
Well I got in my order for 200 of the pixel strobes today. I guess its just a waiting game now for me.

The covers I have are a bit larger then those pictures i believe, slightly bigger then a c9. I will see how they look with the strobes and go from there.

kane

Dedicated elf
justinj said:
What about if you cut the base of the cover off so it was just the enlarged section? It doesn't matter as much as the ACL strobes because they don't need to be waterproof.
I'll give that a go tonight. Wouldn't be too fun an exercise for 200 covers, but would probably be worth it!

dougd said:
The covers I have are a bit larger then those pictures i believe, slightly bigger then a c9. I will see how they look with the strobes and go from there.
Interesting - Let us know how they go, and where you got them from.

kane

Dedicated elf
justinj said:

Couldn't help myself, tried it before heading off to work. Unfortunately, no good - at the wider part of the cover, rather than being larger on the inside, the plastic is thicker..

justinj

Apprentice elf
Another update:
-All code is working now
-Settings for people to configure include: Strobe pattern, string length, strobe speed, strobes on at any one time, relay pin and data pin.
-Still to test: Long strings (I have 200 all up to test in a single string) and possibly looking at multiple strings from the board.
WS2811 Strobes Running on Arduino

dougd

Full time elf
Justin, is this something you are doing for yourself? I have ordered 200 of these things. I am not real familiar with Arduino's but will get up to speed real fast. Would love to get a bit more info. Thanks.

justinj

Apprentice elf
dougd said:
Justin, is this something you are doing for yourself? I have ordered 200 of these things. I am not real familiar with Arduino's but will get up to speed real fast. Would love to get a bit more info. Thanks.
I'm doing it for the community and will be releasing the code in the next week or so once I test everything I want to test to make sure there's no problems and to add any required changes before there's multiple versions out there in the wild.
If you've never used an Arduino before I guarantee you'll have no issues if you follow some simple instructions I'll post with the code. Cheapest option to buy is a $15 clone listed in one of my previous posts on this thread.
Edit: Looks like I only ordered 150 of these things. Is anyone else in SE Vic with some of these strings I can borrow so I can test long strings?