Ws2811 Strobes, anyone making them?

G

GoofyGuy

I would like the strobe itself to control flash rate, and just send it as stated the on of off signal. This could make for some interesting effects. I hope I didnt start work for anyone. Since scrapping everything and going pixel, Im not going back! Id be in for 50-100 of these if they come to life (price pending of course) At minimum 50 though.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I like pixel based strobe idea because it's not a one trick pony. The PIC based strobes (from the group buy) are simple to drive (either power or trigger to start), but their parameters can't be changed with reprogramming the PIC chip in each one.

I designed and built some double sided LED strobe boards some time ago - they were based on a WS2801 chip, two SMD LEDs and constant current regulator. The design could possibly be simplified now and made to use a different chip and LED(s).

The idea of being able to run different effects on a strobe string appealed to me;
  • All at once - at a set rate
  • All at once - single shot
  • Random with only a few on at once
  • Each one in turn
What I'm getting at is that pixel based strobes have more options, but they will require smart control, either as separate hardware (say DMX to pixel) or software (built into ECG-P2, etc). The control method (hardware or software) is of no concern to the actual strobes of course.

So, I hope that clears up the differences between these two (PIC vs pixel) LED strobe design ideas.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
I like pixel based strobe idea because it's not a one trick pony. The PIC based strobes (from the group buy) are simple to drive (either power or trigger to start), but their parameters can't be changed with reprogramming the PIC chip in each one.

I designed and built some double sided LED strobe boards some time ago - they were based on a WS2801 chip, two SMD LEDs and constant current regulator. The design could possibly be simplified now and made to use a different chip and LED(s).

The idea of being able to run different effects on a strobe string appealed to me;
  • All at once - at a set rate
  • All at once - single shot
  • Random with only a few on at once
  • Each one in turn
What I'm getting at is that pixel based strobes have more options, but they will require smart control, either as separate hardware (say DMX to pixel) or software (built into ECG-P2, etc). The control method (hardware or software) is of no concern to the actual strobes of course.

So, I hope that clears up the differences between these two (PIC vs pixel) LED strobe design ideas.

This has been discussed on a few occassions but nothing has ever eventuated but im with you David ;) , it would be nice to have control over our strobes so different effects can be used. This should make the cost of a strobe a bit cheaper than the original ACL strobe design.

G

GoofyGuy

Im good with signal on means strobe, no signal no strobe. I dont need to complicate it any more. Having them on a string where I can chase them to light would provide for some neat effects.