Ws2812b vs Ws2813. Is it better?

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by Lishfish, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Lishfish

Lishfish Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    So Ive seen the ws2813 led strips a couple times and wonder if its worth spending the bit extra for them vs the ws2812b? I understand that they have dual signal wires but besides that would it really be worth it?

Thanks

2. Kitman

Kitman Full Time Elf

I am not sure if anyone else has gotten any WS2813 strip but I did get a few rolls last year to use on my wire frame sleigh, however they didn't work with my controller's all Sandevice controllers. I haven't taken these to anyone elses place yet to test them out on any other controller to see if they work but I might use the Adelaide get together to test them on some other controllers and see if they work.

They are meant to be compatible with all other formats however I had to get Jim from Sandevice to update the firmware of the board to support the ws2813 strip and they do now work on that controller.

In theory it's a great idea, if 1 of the leds dies then only that led stops working and doesn't affect any others, since I am yet to use mine I haven't had the ability to test anything out on them yet but once I do all of my testing I can report back.

3. i13

i13 Senior Elf

Weren't you able to get them working with the old firmware by using a WS2811 null pixel between the controller and the first WS2813 pixel?

4. Kitman

Kitman Full Time Elf

I had to have more than 1 ws2811 between the controller and the strip for the strip to work. Having 50 ws2811 pixels between the controller and strip worked having 1 didn't.

5. deonb

deonb New Elf

Jim updated the SanDevices firmware in 5.023 to support WS2813 and WS2818. It works thereafter.

I had 6 x WS2813 strips and about 80x WS2818 strings running last year. (The WS2818 is the string version of the WS2813).

They're not a perfect solution.

The WS2818's I had were very unreliable and I had 100's of individual LEDs out (i.e. a Green or Blue LED, never a RED, and never a full pixel). But I don't think that had to do with the WS2818 as much as the manufacturing of those particular strings. Still trying to figure it out.

Anyway, that's not so much the issue - the problem that the WS2813 addresses is whether a whole string will go out if an individual pixel goes out.

Well, I had 3 whole strings fail under cold weather, 2 x WS2813 and one WS2818. They came back on later when it was warmer. You get that sometimes with WS2811/WS2812 as well.

And I didn't have a pixel failure condition, which is what an ideal WS2813 / WS2818 failure will look like. So basically the WS2813/WS2818 didn't help or prevent any failures that a WS2811/WS2812 wouldn't have.

I've posted this as well on another forum:

"The bad part is that on the strings I have "Backup" is placed between "Ground" and "V+", which is literally the worst place they could have placed it. This means that if water & impurities enter the pixel it is very likely to take out Backup Output. Keep in mind that most rain-related failures we encounter isn't generally microchip failures - it's impurities that bridge 2 points on the pixel motherboard and keeping Data high or low as a result. That's why Corrosion X reverses the damage. If would have made more sense if the wiring was G/V+/D/B. Still lots of failure opportunities, but not as much. I've proved this theory by experiment - I have injected several WS2818 pixels with a saltwater/iron solution, and once a pixel goes down as a result, it takes out everything down the string as well. It's pretty hard getting a WS2818 to fail in a way that the rest of the string still work. So far I've only been able to do this by cutting the Data wire - but that's not a general problem I need to protect against. I know in theory if the chip actually fails the string will still work, but on pixels I don't think chips actually fail. On strips however, chips tend to unsolder themselves from the strip, and for those it WOULD make a difference."

6. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    It seems that you pay more for a failure condition that is not too common as the back up will only work in certain conditions. The more common issue is actually loosing a colour rather than the chip itself failing