Wu 6803 "Square" Pixel Wiring

richardd

Full time elf
Just a quick question about the String, End to End how long is the 50 pcs string?

Cheers
Rich

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Being the IP68 model i would believe that the main pictures are wrong, The IP68 version is made of solid resin with a cover and has the wires coming out the back instead of the sides. The picture shows the IP65 model which from what ive been told have water ingress issues.
The 2 pictures on the right below the product description would be the IP68 version

As far as how long then that can vary from batch to batch unless specifically specified

zman

Full time elf
So these are 50 pcs strings, the wire comes out the side, not the bottom. Ray did say they were the IP68 in the quote. Insignificant really, as these are only test strings for a side by comparison, at our CLAP meeting next month. Given that I can get it running on the E681, I just tested the E681 last night for the first time. (I'm sure I will, I am just in the head swimming stage right now).
I have 2 strings each of the square pixels - 6803- 2801 - 3001. and one 5M 2801 strip.
Anyway, Donny, that is what I was looking for. Let me ask a dumb question about the wiki listing. Can I assume that the board position/orientation the "color" wire goes to in the picture, is the function that is listed. My wire colors are different going into the first pixel, then the daisy chain on the other side is a different color scheme. I know where they are made, so I am wantitng to be sure before I toast a string.
Thanks.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
zman said:
So these are 50 pcs strings, the wire comes out the side, not the bottom. Ray did say they were the IP68 in the quote.

Are these solid resin or are they soft silicone construction. If they are soft silicone construction then they wont be IP68.

Maybe they now have the solid resin with the wires out the side now, but the samples I had from 9 months ago were from out the back.

kane

Dedicated elf
zman said:
Anyway, Donny, that is what I was looking for. Let me ask a dumb question about the wiki listing. Can I assume that the board position/orientation the "color" wire goes to in the picture, is the function that is listed. My wire colors are different going into the first pixel, then the daisy chain on the other side is a different color scheme. I know where they are made, so I am wantitng to be sure before I toast a string.
Unfortunately, that's a bit typical for some of these products (lack of QC in China) - you sometimes get different colours for the same product (sometimes even in the same batch!). The last lot of 2801 strip that Matt and myself purchased have the PCB marked incorrectly - the CLK and DAT are swapped around. Makes things damn difficult!

In any case, I've found that you're very unlikely to fry a whole string with incorrect wiring - you may fry one or two pixels, but usually you can remove those from the string and keep trying. You could always chop one pixel off and test that single one, knowing that the worst that can happen is that one is dead

If I had no idea of the wiring, I'd always go Red for +ve (in nearly all cases that's correct), and white or black for -ve. Then try clk/dat with the other two wires - you shouldn't damage anything by having these the wrong way around.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
If I had no idea of the wiring, I'd always go Red for +ve (in nearly all cases that's correct), and white or black for -ve. Then try clk/dat with the other two wires - you shouldn't damage anything by having these the wrong way around.

Ive seen black and blue used before for the +V so red definetly is not always the +V

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Kane said:

Ive seen black and blue used before for the +V so red definetly is not always the +V
Yeah, one of the examples on the pixel colours wiki page (the big 6803 module) is like that, but in a majority of the cases, red is +ve, so it's a good start if you've got no idea what each wire is.

Henedce

Apprentice elf
i found with my strings of these that the lead wire was red = +, green = data, blue = clk , white = -
After the first pixel red = +, white = data, green = clk, blue = - .

Thought I better add . I have wired these wrong multiple times and never cooked a pixel. Maybe Im just lucky :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Normally with 5vdc pixels, wiring these up wrong wont cause any damage to the IC, but when using 12vdc, mixing the power and the data/clock can destroy the IC.

jstjohnz

Apprentice elf
If you look closely at a pixel you can usually identify the pair of wires used for power because the 'in' and 'out' of the +V and ground leads are common, whereas 'in' and 'out' for data and clock will go to separate pads.
Of course once you identify the pair of wires that are power you still need to figure out which is which. As has been mentioned you can always use trial and error to identify data and clock.
Reversed polarity on power and ground leads will probably fry a pixel.