X MAS LIGHTS VIRGIN

Wendys

New elf
Hi All,

I'm a virgin when it comes to Christmas Light displays.

Matt Johnson has a lot to answer for. After watching his display several times I've decided to start gathering info and hopefully have a display together for Christmas 2017.

I work as a Fire Fighter here in Wagga Wagga NSW.

Went and visited Roosta's set up in Albury the other night which looks great, very inspiring

I have been watching a lot of youtube tutorials over the christmas break and having a muck around with X Lights.
WOW have a long way to go.

Making the displays I don't think I'll have any trouble with, I think the sequencing and programming might be my short fall.

I have RBG, Pi, Falcon,nodes, E682, E1:131 Universes, strings,pixels all running around in my head........

So hopefully I can learn heaps off you guys. And hopefully attend a couple of mini's to get more ideas

Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR

Roosta

Full time elf
Hey mate,

Was great to meet you the other night..

Welcome to the forum, you should find all here to be pretty friendly and helpful and can hopefully help you achieve a bit of a display for 2017!

Cheers..

i13

Dedicated elf
xLights allows you to import other people's sequences and map them to your display if sequencing isn't one of your strengths. There are many people including myself who are happy to give sequence files away.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you have plenty of time for all the pieces to fall into place as long as you stick with it throughout the year. You will find all the help and advice you need here

Wendys

New elf
Thanks Guys,

Been reading the AUslights 101 booklet also. Some great info in it.

i 13, I might take you up on the offer one day, Just so I can look at a sequence already done to get my head around it.

I will start to compile a shopping list and ask for some feed back.

Controllers, lighting and stuff.

Already to brought a new soldering iron, one of those hands free holding things, UV stable cable ties, wire strippers and crimpers, Heat shrink and a heat gun.

Really looking forward to the challenge
Cheers

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Welcome to the Mad house,

It would appear that you've been well and truly bitten by the bug. unfortunately very few recover..

seeing as you've read the 101 and watched videos, may I suggest that you take some time to plan and re-plan and plan again before you start spending the $$$. getting it correct on paper helps a lot.
We are always happy to comment on your plans and ideas if you want to post them.

Chers
Fing

Wendys

New elf
Was thinking something simple like this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 6.20.45 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 6.20.45 pm.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 44

i13

Dedicated elf
I would call that achievable in a year but not simple :D
It's the start of the year and you're on the right track starting ASAP. Making new display items is time-consuming but once you understand how to get pixels blinking the same concepts apply when building different items.

Fing's advice is spot-on. Have a good read, ask questions and post your first shopping list.

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Jumping into chat is the quickest way to learn :eek: :D

These forums and chat are the best :) looking forward to 2017 already...

-Blu

scamper

Dedicated elf
I don't think it is too ambitious.
The hardest bit will be the mega trees.
There are a lot of ways to do them, so read everything you can before you start, as the construction needs to be strong, there is a lot of weight in them.
I am looking at redoing mine this year using boscoyo strips, something to keep in mind for you as they are looking at doing a bulk shipment to Oz sometime this year.
Anyway, good luck and keep us up to date with your progress.

Wendys

New elf
Thanks Scamper.

Have a busy year planned.

Learnt heaps just today from Lithgow and SWB by chatting

Cheers Mate