Release xlights 4.1.12. Vamp plugins now part of xLights, Audacity no longer needed

smeighan

Dedicated elf
xlights 4.1.12. Vamp plugins now part of xLights, Audacity no longer needed

Dan Kulp has added the full set of Vamp Utilities into xLights!
Nice job.

Dan saw an announcement from the Vixen3 team that they were adding the Vamp utilities, he thought that was a good idea. In the following email Dan is referring to the ability to draw the Vamp labels right on the timing mark. Move a timing mark and the beat number moves with it.

So thanks to the Vixen3 team for the idea of adding the Vamp plugins and thanks to Dan for implementing it!

Here is an email exchange between Gil and Dan on the development team.

"
Dan wrote:
I saw their announcement and decided it shouldn’t be that hard to do…...

Gil wrote> The screenshots they posted do look really nice though. I like that polished look but it seems hard to do when you are using CodeBlocks and trying to work on so many platforms (Windows, Linux, MAC) and resolutions.

Dan Wrote: Well, the big thing is that they only limited it to the Beats/Bars capability from the QM set. By doing that, you can make a custom GUI just for that that works nicer. However, I was trying to get all the various VAMP plugins to work so the gui needed to be more generic to allow setting of all the various VAMP things. We could optimize later and if it is the QM Beats/Bar plugin, flip to a more custom thing, but at this point, I just wanted it to work.

Gil> Dan did you have any other plans for the drawing of the text on the timings? That was something I had been wanting to do also so I'm glad you got it working.

Dan>I’m not “happy” about how it works, but it at least displays some text. Glut has two methods for the text, the bitmap form and a vector form. I couldn’t get the vector stuff to work well, but I really didn’t spend much time on it. I wanted to devote the time to the VAMP stuff. Thus, I flipped to the bitmap stuff which was simpler. However, the bitmap stuff is kind of crappy as it really depends on the screen. The text is TINY on a HiDPI windows box. On the mac, it’s different sized depending on if I use my Retina display or my external monitor. Definitely not happy about that. That said, the vector form may not look very nice at the small size we need.

Basically, I wanted something as quick as possible to make sure the labels are captured from the VAMP stuff. What’s there is the first thing I got working. Feel free to change it.

Dan"

Latest releases are found at http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases/
Issue Tracker is found here: https://github.com/smeighan/xLights/issues

XLIGHTS/NUTCRACKER RELEASE NOTES:
---------------------------------
4.1.12 Jul 20, 2015
-- enh (dkulp) If VAMP plugins are found, allow using them to generating timing rows

So again thanks to the Vixen3 team for the idea and thanks to Dan for putting it into xLights

To help you see how to use it, i have made a small video.

https://vimeo.com/134060834