xlights Cache Question

Baron

Apprentice elf
Hello friends... I have a question about xlights cache... there are a lot of LARGE files that xlights produce. Is there a way that I can clean up these files? These are killing my computer storage. Any help to clean up my xlight files...

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 11.25.41 AM.png

Baron

Apprentice elf
Awesome thx for your help. I tried that but there are over 47 gigs of cache files left. Can I just delete them manually?

Baron

Apprentice elf
Yeah Mac sorry should have said that. Do I need these files? Or what value do they bring?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
We say delete them, it might render a little slower next time (or maybe not, also). Just trying to remember how you force delete rather than recycle on a Mac, so you get the space back sooner rather than later... on Windoze it's "SHIFT-delete" like @allknowing2012 said.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Just delete it all. Your first render of a sequence will start replacing whatever is in the cache that you need. That's where all the junk comes from.

Or at least that's what I remember hearing once before somewhere. :)

Dean

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just trying to remember how you force delete rather than recycle on a Mac
Option-Command-Delete will bypass Trash and remove the file.
Or, use rm on a shell.

Or, just empty trash immediately after deleting. Trashcan / Recycle bin is not storage, it's a safety net in case you press the delete key on the wrong file - it should be deleted immediately if you know you want to delete it.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.