Year round lights

ievolve

New elf
Have any of you tried to leave lights on all year round? Are there some mounting tricks to hide the lights or make them less visible. I know UV damage would occur over time, just wondering if anyone had experience with this and if it was even possible at all.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
I have had my lights for around 18 months in very harsh weather and have had very few problems. That being said, most of my lights are mounted in PEX tubing and are sealed at both ends. I have had a few (maybe 6) pixels go bad, but they were flickering when I installed them. As for hiding them, I guess that would be up to your imagination. It did not matter to me so I never tried to hide them. As far as UV problems go I haven't had any problems. It has turned the PEX tubing a very light brown, but so far not bad enough to notice. I would imagine that after 3 years some maintenance will be needed. Anyway, that has been my experence so far. Hope this helps;
John

burner

Full time elf
I left my 2811 strip lights in the window frame mounted all year, out of laziness. They are mounted on conduit, and sitting in the ray wu silicon casing, then mounted in the Bunnings end cap, which has some UV protection. I powered them on with the test pattern this week, and they are working fine with no discolouration on the curcuitry.

ievolve

New elf
Thanks for the feedback on this issue! I'm excited to have a new hobby, this seems like a great community to hang my hat.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Expect discoloration over time, I find the silicone tube strip will last longer without becoming discolored compared to the solid coating

Anyway welcome to ACL and the hobby and im sure you will get the CLAP in a big way (Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem), so feel free to get involved with the friendly online community.

Cheers