Hello

mye_dreamlights

New elf
Hi everyone, I am a newbie without any experiences in doing such things. I am just a dreamer that one day my husband and I will be able to put up a simple christmas show lights. I am from Oran Park, NSW. Any advice or help to get us started will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi. Welcome to ACL. I suggest first downloading and reading the ACL 101 Manual. That will help you get started understanding the hardware and software used with animated lighting. The are also the other ACL sections, the Forums, Wiki, and such which are searchable and can help provide answers to questions or problems you may have or encounter.

There is also the Chat Room and there is usually someone either monitoring the room or involved in a conversation. Questions can be asked there too.

mye_dreamlights

New elf
Hi. Welcome to ACL. I suggest first downloading and reading the ACL 101 Manual. That will help you get started understanding the hardware and software used with animated lighting. The are also the other ACL sections, the Forums, Wiki, and such which are searchable and can help provide answers to questions or problems you may have or encounter.

There is also the Chat Room and there is usually someone either monitoring the room or involved in a conversation. Questions can be asked there too.
Thank you so much.

mye_dreamlights

New elf
Welcome to ACL.

Youtube is your friend (plus the 101 manual as suggested above).
Check out videos from here:

Canispater Christmas
Keith Westley
xlights Training Nuggets
xlights YouTube
Virtual Christmas Summit
LawrenceDriveLights
AusChristmasLighting

You also have several members in your vicinity, a huge benefit (outside of covid times).
Thank you. I have started watching videos by ACL that's where I find this group. Yeah, really looking forward for those near us to be able to help us too, that will be great☺️

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL! It's not too late to get something happening for this year, but some aspects can be a steep learning curve. The group is here to help if you need it. Most of all, have fun!

mye_dreamlights

New elf
Welcome to ACL! It's not too late to get something happening for this year, but some aspects can be a steep learning curve. The group is here to help if you need it. Most of all, have fun!
Thank you. I really hope it's not too late☺️

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Welcome! As a fellow newbie doing my first show this year. My biggest advise is prepare to spend a lot more money than you expect. Prepare to be unskilled in things you never expected to even know the slightest about (eg. power outputs etc.). Prepare to be VERY challenged. Prepare to have a lot of fun when it all comes together in the end.

You've already made the best decision by becoming active on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the people here are incredible and have 0 dramas helping others out.

mye_dreamlights

New elf
Welcome! As a fellow newbie doing my first show this year. My biggest advise is prepare to spend a lot more money than you expect. Prepare to be unskilled in things you never expected to even know the slightest about (eg. power outputs etc.). Prepare to be VERY challenged. Prepare to have a lot of fun when it all comes together in the end.

You've already made the best decision by becoming active on here. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the people here are incredible and have 0 dramas helping others out.
Thank you. Have you bought all the stuff you need to start? Where did you bought them? Thanks

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Yep, I've got 95% of the stuff I need now. I paid a little bit more to buy from and support Australian suppliers. The majority of my stuff was bought through Light It Up LED's - Paul has a great range and was very helpful (and quick)

All my props and boscoyo strip & a couple other things are from Extreme Lighting Displays - Hopefully getting all that stuff this week

I will be placing one more order for some fuses, extra glands and a few other bits and bobs from Hanson Electronics later this week. - Allan is also very helpful and supplies some great controllers etc.

Only thing I bought overseas was my Falcon controller from Pixel Controller - However their Aussie warehouse is opening soon I believe so my controller will be shipped from there.

Here is a spreadsheet I've been trying to update as much as possible. There's a few smaller things from my bunnings trip the other day not on there. Such as PVC joiners, My mini tree plant trainer things, a new hammer, box cutter knife, wire strippers etc. but will eventually add them. I've provided links to exactly where I bought them and how much I paid for them.

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M9xovA297GatzuecHV0OOH_pIFkMtcCDWm2aM2PE9uE/edit?usp=sharing

mye_dreamlights

New elf
Yep, I've got 95% of the stuff I need now. I paid a little bit more to buy from and support Australian suppliers. The majority of my stuff was bought through Light It Up LED's - Paul has a great range and was very helpful (and quick)

All my props and boscoyo strip & a couple other things are from Extreme Lighting Displays - Hopefully getting all that stuff this week

I will be placing one more order for some fuses, extra glands and a few other bits and bobs from Hanson Electronics later this week. - Allan is also very helpful and supplies some great controllers etc.

Only thing I bought overseas was my Falcon controller from Pixel Controller - However their Aussie warehouse is opening soon I believe so my controller will be shipped from there.

Here is a spreadsheet I've been trying to update as much as possible. There's a few smaller things from my bunnings trip the other day not on there. Such as PVC joiners, My mini tree plant trainer things, a new hammer, box cutter knife, wire strippers etc. but will eventually add them. I've provided links to exactly where I bought them and how much I paid for them.

View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M9xovA297GatzuecHV0OOH_pIFkMtcCDWm2aM2PE9uE/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you so much for this. It's a big help to get us started😊

richardd

Full time elf
Luv it 1000 dollars budgeted 2241 dollars spent you and its only August you are only 224.18% over budget Remember there is how much you pay and the amount you tell your partner you paid 😇