1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

12 v to 5v convertor

Discussion in 'Lights - Store Bought and Home Made' started by indudio, Nov 19, 2012.

1. indudio

indudio Guest

Hi,

I have a pile of the Kmart snow fall lights I want to run this year. These run at 5volt. I have a 12 volt controller I would like to run these off. Would using a 12 volt to 5 volt convertor be ok for this? They only come on for various parts of the show.

(I have also added a pile of silicone to these at the top as I am aware of the issue with water ingress with these lights).

2. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Why not just run them connected with a 5vdc power supply, they will still run from a controller that is setup for 12v as long as the LEDs are wired in the fashion shown in example 2 of this wiki link

and here is the diagram from that link

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

3. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Funny you should mention those Kmart tubes. I was just looking at making up some 5V regulator boards to use on my Deals Direct trees. I have 30V channels going out to them so a local (to the tubes) regulator will work best for me.

Last year I did a similar thing for the Ray Wu 5V meteor tubes as it saved me having to find a 5V source just for those. I had no issues. Just be sure not to dim the channels that the converters are on.