1804 on PixAd8

kane

Dedicated elf
Hey All
Was chatting to Ed the other night, and he mentioned that he was able to get 1804 working (albeit with a couple issues) on Firmware 1.1g.

I've tried this out on mine, with no luck - so just thought I'd see if anyone else has tried to light up some 1804 pixels/modules with their ad8?

He's been busy with some other issues, but will be getting a new firmware out soon.

Cheers
Kane

shiner

New elf
Nothing yet. I started a post on his company forum a few weeks back about this and he indicated recently that he was close, but there are some other issues at the moment preventing him from calling it ready for prime time.

riri7707

Full time elf
Hi Ed,
Some advancement on the 1804 chips protocol ?
May i ask also if 1803 (same family will match also ?)
Found some strings 1803 at interesting price and before going on them wanted to be sure to make the right choice.
Searching also for these 2 chips pdf datasheet please...
Thanks for feedback
Henri

kane

Dedicated elf
riri7707 said:
Some advancement on the 1804 chips protocol ?
May i ask also if 1803 (same family will match also ?)
Found some strings 1803 at interesting price and before going on them wanted to be sure to make the right choice.
Last I heard from Ed (a couple weeks ago), he had been having hardware and production issues, which has taken up a lot of his time. He was hoping to be able to get back to software that week.

I'm dependant on getting 1804 working on my two PixAd8's for this years display, as that is the only protocol I am wanting to use on them.

My only other option is a rush-job to get an e680/e681 sent out and assembled, but time is going to cause me issues with that!

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
i think i found the tm180x problems. sending to kane to test and will post after i get a little feedback.

-ed

riri7707

Full time elf
Great news Ed....

So, i will pick some ribbon samples 12v from China to test with my PixAd8... :D
I found 5 meters ribbon waterproof 5050 with 1803 chips for USD$ 18 piece, direct from manufaturer.
More asap....
Henri

kane

Dedicated elf
j1sys said:
i think i found the tm180x problems. sending to kane to test and will post after i get a little feedback.
For anyone using 1804 - what sort of pixels/modules are you using? The rectangle modules (as per the wiki link below) are the main ones I'm using, and these seem to be working perfectly with the firmware update Ed has provided.

Not as much luck with the square modules and pixels. In my case, I'm only using the rectangle modules off the Pixad8, so that shouldn't be a problem, but if others are planning on using the pixels or square modules, then there's probably more investigation needed! (but not much point Ed spending the time on it, if noone is using those!)

http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/index.php/Pixel_Wire_Colours

riri7707

Full time elf
Interesting feedback, Thanks Ed and Kane...

What i'm waiting from manufacturer are TM1803 Strigns (50 chips per 5 meter Ribon).
Specs :
Led Qty :3x5050 SMD per chip (150 LED per 5 meters
Illumination : 450lm
Angle = 120°
Voltage DC12v
Current = 600 mA
Power = 7.2W
Potection Level = Silicon Tube IP 66

As we know the TM18xx are quite new in the market (around 1 year), and offers great alternative to the LPD6803 or WS2801. The big difference is the 3 wiring , so less cost face the other ones.

My self i used selfmade WS2801 round modules / 3x 5050 SMD RGB per module and 13 modules per 2 meters (self develloped and made). Il will post asap the new design for this year i made for this Christmas.

My original version of these modules are descrived here:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,284.15.html

I want mix this year the WS2801 and TM 1803 as the desing are totally different and use Ed PixAd8 modules received this summer from Ed.

Will it be possibile to get the last firmware, even Beta to check with these new 1803 Strings?
I can test and give feedback on my results...

I will appreciate....

Henri

kane

Dedicated elf
Just as a quick followup for those playing at home - I was able to get the square modules working, by reducing the lead-in cable from 20cm down to about 5cm.

So it's looking like at this stage, there's an issue with distance from the first pixel to the pixad8 output.. I've let Ed know, so hopefully he has some ideas.

Not as much luck with the pixels though - haven't managed to get these going yet, but will do some more experimenting tonight with different speeds. It's possible that these pixels are not 1804 (like the square and rectangle modules), and may be 1803 or 1809.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
Wow, 5cm is somewhat limiting. Even 20cm seems rather short. There must be something else at play. :-\
Yeah, I'm sure it's something Ed will be able to sort out!

I must say, I thought I was going mad - I had one string of rectangle modules working ok. But, the same modules that I've got mounted in my star lightboxes would not work. It took me a long time to even think about reducing the distance, as I figured 20cm would have been fine!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I wonder if this is a similar issue that the TP3244 had with the output resistor value being too high a value and the 1804 requires a lower value to work.
I had a similar issue last year with the TP3244, the 6803 would work ok but not perfect with any distance to the first pixel and the 2801 wouldnt work unless i had a pixel right next to the output

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If you'd like to do a little surgery on your PIXAD8, try reducing the value of the resistors in series with the clock and data lines. I think they are 300 Ohms now. I found that I had to reduce the resistor values (to 100 Ohms I think) on one of my pixel driver boards to get enough distance from some 6803 strip.

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
If you'd like to do a little surgery on your PIXAD8, try reducing the value of the resistors in series with the clock and data lines. I think they are 300 Ohms now. I found that I had to reduce the resistor values (to 100 Ohms I think) on one of my pixel driver boards to get enough distance from some 6803 strip.
Hmmm, would I trust myself doing surgery on Ed's great gear? :)

Will have a look at it tonight and make sure I won't butcher it, and maybe give it a go. I think I have a few 120ohm resisters left over from making some dmx terminators - so I suppose they'll be close enough.