2.5m Ray (2D Tree)

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Hi All,

I was thinking about building a 2.5m Ray (2D Tree) using 2811 10IC/m 12v strip and PVC pipe (as shown in another thread that I can't find atm.)

The question is how many arms is too many for a 2.5 Ray? I have lots of strip to burn, I just don't want it to look stupid :)

- Kaden

Henedce

Apprentice elf
When I worked out my tree I based the strings on the same spacing between strings at the mid point of the tree as the pixel spacing of the strings.

But in saying that more is better in my opinion . You could never look stupid with too many lights.
There is no such thing as too many :)

Kaden

Well, it's built now and I settled on 8 arms and it looks amazing!

Here is a quick video of it in action:

2m 2811 Pixel Strip Tree - Test 1 on Vimeo

Here is two photos (one under exposed - the other over exposed)
treetest1.JPG

treetest2.JPG

Kaden

David_AVD said:
Just musing.... would an odd or even amount of arms be better for sequencing?

I considered this and chose a number that is divisible by four.

Firstly I chose an even number so that simultaneous left and right chases don't mix colours in the middle.

Then I chose divisible by four because all the music I am sequencing is 4/4 timing and figured it would make it easier at some point.

That being said, this is my first year so only time will tell if I am right :)

Slite

Full time elf
Here's what I ended up with, 2.5 meters, 8 "arms" with 5050 RGB, 30 leds/m.

Waiting for my E1.31 t oDMX bridge and then I'm gonna light that baby up! :)

Attachments

• DSC_0472.jpg
    DSC_0472.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 124

Kaden

Slite said:
Here's what I ended up with

Looking good, make sure you post a picture/video of it lit up when you have everything plugged in.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I took a different approach and built my tree out of electrical conduit and a flagpole with aluminium cross bars. Seems to have handled all the wind thats been thrown at it and there have been some strong winds. I will hopefully do a how to after Christmas

Attachments

• DSC00247.jpg
    DSC00247.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 239

Robbo

Full time elf
Tree looks great kaden, I'm going to build one this year too but not entirely sure on dimensions, will have to get out the front and measure the front wall height and see just how high it needs to be, as I want the star above the roof line......

my question tho is how did you go about sequencing the tree, superstar? or painstaking hours of manual sequencing?

Kaden

The video is just running Pixel Toy, but my actual show is running LOR with colour blends copied to each cell/group.

I will be using Light Show Pro next year which is perfect for effects generation on matrixes (like the tree), I was just unable to get a working show out of LSP this year.