1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

2 wire strings?

Discussion in 'Lights - Store Bought and Home Made' started by strangesparks, Dec 8, 2015.

1. strangesparks

strangesparks New Elf

Just been around the stores, it looks like no one stocks the 3 wire strings anymore. And from what I understand the new 2 wire systems are a whole lot of trouble?
    So... does anyone have a link to how these are wired, and how to adapt them to dmx controllers? Or should I flag the expansion/replacement scheme and focus on pixels for next year?

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    There's no simple solution to drive 2-wire strings at present.

I and at least one other person are working on adapter boards. I was also considering doing a 16 channel DMX controller for next year.

3. i13

i13 Senior Elf

K-Mart and Target still have 3 wire icicles but I suspect that'll change next year at this rate. I think Masters had 3 wire strings but they're socketed so you might want to seal them up with silicone (a big job) to stop corrosion.

You still have the option of ordering custom strings such as from MySolarLED. I've never tried them but I've heard they're good. Just don't get the clear wire ones because the wires turn brown.

Also keep in mind that low voltage light sets without an 8 function controller will work.

Yes pixels are really the ultimate way to go in my opinion. I would have much more of a pixel setup if I had started from scratch instead of converting my existing static display.

4. OP
    OP
    strangesparks

strangesparks New Elf

Thanks for confirming my hunch that I won't be expanding this year. Probably a good thing in light of the investment of dmx board, PSU, dc-dc booster because I got the wrong PSU and the cheapest dmx dongle I could find (another faux pas). Only to discover pixels after I ordered all this. Better luck next year!

5. MrWoolson

MrWoolson New Elf

Hi David_AVD. Are you going to produce an adapter board this year? That sounds like a good solution given that all of the lights I have found (so far) this year are 2 string...

Thanks heaps.

6. Homer2014

Homer2014 Apprentice Elf

Find Me On:
  7. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    I did design a 2-wire board that has WS2801 input, but it's not something I'm offering for sale.

Alan (Hanson Electronics) has a DMX input 2-wire board (I've tried them) for a reasonable price.