2011/2012 (non-controlled) display

camduncan

New elf
I hope this is the right area to post this?
Last year after years of avoiding Christmas lights, the bug hit. I say it's because we have a 3yo in the house and it's fun to entertain her, her friends and the neighbourhood kids, but my wife says I'm the real kid :)
Anyway, I haven't graduated to controlled lighting yet, but hope to next year. Here's a picture of what I did last year (pretty basic for most people on this forum I know....) We've made several changes this year, so I'll update it with a new picture in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• IMAG0208.jpg
    IMAG0208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I like how you have used your reverse lights as part of your display :)

Welcome to the world of CLAP!

MarcD

Full time elf
There's no such thing as too basic. It's just about what you can afford, what space you have available and how motivated you are. This is our first year of controlled lighting and we're only controlling half of it. I'm sure your three year old will appreciate whatever lights you put up and will insist on more each year.

Enjoy.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I just put up whatever I get around to each year. Sometimes they are static, sometimes controlled.

Any amount of lights is a good thing in my book as kids (and most adults) are not as demanding as we all think. :)

penguineer

Full time elf
Seriously, that's better laid out than my display :mad:

Nah - I spent a few years doing uncontrolled displays just letting the icicles blow in the breeze and the 8-way controllers do their random thing. Sometimes the effects that "just happen" can't be planned with some lights flashing and others fading and the yard changing colours....

Actually - it was controlled.....with a timer switch.

Another thing to think of is that you're getting an idea of what does and doesn't work setup wise, you're getting a few basic items in place(extension leads, power boards, waterproof boxes, a few favourite motifs) so that next year you can spend more on controllers :p

At least that's what I told the missus.....

And as long as the kids are entertained - gold.

Cheers!

camduncan

New elf
Thanks for all the great comments guys - it's really appreciated!
I'm definately doing a few things differently this year: Shooting star motif with 8 function controller, multi colour rope lights with controllers, a Laser Stage Lighting red/green laser light... The only problem I have is the wife is saying "less is more" and I'm saying "more is more"!

MarcD

Full time elf
I really had a lot of resistance from my wife about going down the controlled lighting route. She's still claiming we haven't showed her the plans. We had to compromise. We're only controlling the string lights which are around the edges of things (pillars, windows, guttering etc.) and on the roof while leaving the garden and other areas free for non-controlled items like rope light motifs, 3D objects and so on. After our first test on the weekend (photo attached), I think she finally gets it, although we may have to wind back the voltage a bit so the strings don't over-power the other stuff.

My suggestion, come up with a plan. Mark it out on a printed photo of your house (eg from Google StreetView) and come to an agreement on what should go where. Trust in her vision as well as your own and be willing to compromise.

Attachments

• First Light Test 2012.JPG
    First Light Test 2012.JPG
    398.1 KB · Views: 45

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
MarcD said:
I really had a lot of resistance from my wife about going down the controlled lighting route. She's still claiming we haven't showed her the plans. We had to compromise. We're only controlling the string lights which are around the edges of things (pillars, windows, guttering etc.) and on the roof while leaving the garden and other areas free for non-controlled items like rope light motifs, 3D objects and so on. After our first test on the weekend (photo attached), I think she finally gets it, although we may have to wind back the voltage a bit so the strings don't over-power the other stuff.

My suggestion, come up with a plan. Mark it out on a printed photo of your house (eg from Google StreetView) and come to an agreement on what should go where. Trust in her vision as well as your own and be willing to compromise.

Whos wearing the pants here :D LOL

My wife has now learnt to trust my vision

penguineer

Full time elf
MarcD said:
---8<---

Along the same lines(a bit more advanced), download Vixen(free) or LOR S3(free demo mode) and do up a basic animated show with only 16 channels displayed on the visualiser. It might take a little fiddling to learn how to do it, which is why I suggest doing it in January.

That gives you a chance to play with a few animated effects - move light strings around the place and give a preview of what you want to do.......

Then you have the rest of the year to realise it!

Cheers!

camduncan

New elf
And here's the (near) completed layout for this year. Unfortunately the Iphone camera doesn't display the laser lights on the driveway well, and I'm still to put the inflatable Santa on the right hand side of the varandah and the reindeer in the garden. I'll get that stuff done this weekend and them I am good to go :)

Attachments

• IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 43

penguineer

Full time elf
camduncan said:
And here's the (near) completed layout for this year. Unfortunately the Iphone camera doesn't display the laser lights on the driveway well, and I'm still to put the inflatable Santa on the right hand side of the varandah and the reindeer in the garden. I'll get that stuff done this weekend and them I am good to go :)

Looks good! Plenty of light without overdoing it(not that that's a bad thing) and still got access to the garage and front door.

Cheers!

Boof63

Senior elf
Try HLS as your sequencer, first time for me (other than static) and its not a steep learning curve. (Its Free as well!!). But have a play and see what suits. If any Questions just as kthe guys/gals here are ready to help and knowledge to to burn!!
:D cheers Boof63