2012 Project - leaping RGB Arches with Clear Conduit.

Timon

Apprentice elf
In general I love what you've done. I think the only change I'd make would be to use pixel strip instead of RGB strip.

If that's electrical conduit it likely has UV inhibitors since PVC electrical conduit is made for outdoor use.

Again great job.

John

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I reakon for this you would get a better effect by not having it clear but having it cloudy, possibly sand blasting the surface of the clear conduit to get a nice even dispersion from the arch. This way it will look more like a lit tube than possibly a clear tube with lights in it. Just my thoughts

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Timon said:
In general I love what you've done. I think the only change I'd make would be to use pixel strip instead of RGB strip.

If that's electrical conduit it likely has UV inhibitors since PVC electrical conduit is made for outdoor use.

Again great job.

John

John

The Transparent Security conduit is not specified for external use and i've yet to find a manufacturer that says it has any UV inhibitors.
Mind you if it goes cloudy then that's ok anyway.

Phil

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Ok first Photos

The 2801 RGB Flexible Pixel strip arrived today and i just had to check if it physically fitted in 20mm Tube, that answer is not really. I will have to use at least 25mm conduit.

Here is the 20mm Prototype arch minus it's original pixels, starting to look a little un-arch like after not being stored for a few days very well.
arch4.jpg

Here's the Silicon sleeved 2801 strip. The sleeve measures 14.3mm x 4mm and the end cover is 16.3mm x 7mm and that is what binds on the 20mm Conduit
arch3.jpg

Here is is just in the end.
arch2.jpg

And here it is as i plan to have it in the final version, here you can see how the Conduit is slightly cloudy after about 5 weeks in the sun, i don't think this is a bad thing as it will help diffuse the light, i'll be interested to see how it is after summer.
arch1.jpg

The strip sits flat and is facing up in the tube.

Video and testing will have to now wait till i get some 25mm Conduit.

Cheers
Phil

Henedce

Apprentice elf
To make my mini arches with clear conduit . I made a jig in the shape I wanted then taped the end of the conduit. I then filled the tube with boiling water, taped off the other waited a minute and bent to shape in the jig. Once I had my shape I flushed with cold water for a few minutes and hooray a mini arch in the right shape. Heres a vid of my original prototype.

If you want to bend your conduit so it looks neat while at the electrical wholesalers pick yourself up what is called in the electrical trade a "Bending Spring".

It's a spring the is the same size as the internal of the conduit and you tie it to some rope so you can let is drop down into the conduit.

Because the spring is the same size as the internal of the conduit it stops it from kinking and then just with rubbing friction from you hand will get the conduit warm enough to bend it.

Use the rope to pull out the spring.

Mick

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Well it looks like the Arch project has taken a detour from it's original design and is morphing into a full Aluminium framed dual arch with spokes for a fan.
arch2.JPG

The image above shows you the idea.

As we will now have a frame we will move to flexible plastic tubing and plan to wrap it in white lycra to help diffuse the light.

The video below shows the effect, the RGB string is 2801 32 pixels /M strip.

Archtest

View: https://vimeo.com/36624413

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The reality is that if the cost is similar or close between the 2801 and the 6803 then you are crazy not to get the 2801. I only used a lot of 6803 because last year and the year before it was $20 cheaper per strip and the 2801 was only available in 5vdc. So i made a concious decision to live with less dimming steps. But now the 12vdc strip is available in 2801 with 36 LED/m for only a few bucks more than the 6803 strip, it makes sense to buy that instead.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
dariansdad said:
http://www.shannonclaus.com/CCR%20Spiral/CCRSpiral.html

Check out this using PEX tubing. Awesome affect and the CCR from LOR used is not inside the tubing, although through communication, it was suggested to them to use a larger piece of tubing and run the CCR pixels inside. This may be a different way to accomplidh what you're looking to do

Now to find somewhere to buy it at some reasonable pricing in Oz, as it looks impressive be very worth a test.

Thanks
Phil

Steve22537

Full time elf
PEX tubing is available from all plumbing suppliers in black, Bunnings also stock PEX but only in black. PEX is rigid so it will form a nice sweeping curve.

Steve

BretK

New elf
I just ordered a roll of 100' of natural translucent pex here in the states 3/4" od .671 " Id for $54. Will let you know how it works when it arrives. I plan on using it for my ccr's arches, and for some 2801 spiral trees.