2015 Plans - Evans Christmas Lights

gerry

Senior elf
Given that the roll comes in 5 metre lengths, what I did (I use 12V 2811), was assume that I would PI every 5 m.
But if I had a length of say 5 m , then 7 m (ie 5 + 2) , I started off with PI after the 7. When testing with sequences when running and on white or yellow , if I saw issues , then shifted the PI to after 5 m etc

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi All. Long time no post.
Well my mancave is complete and I'm about to get a workbench built so my mind has flicked back to thoughts of my 2015 blinky setup.

So I understand that Ray is able to customise pixel lengths and add tails? How best to communicate this? I require around 47m all up of pixel strip to outline the roof and garage surround. I already have conduit cut to manageable size for the roofline, so would it be best to get the strip lengths cut to these sizes? What is the best tail length at either end to ensure smooth joins and even spacing between lengths?
FYI, looking to use this strip: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
djgra79 said:
Hi All. Long time no post.
Well my mancave is complete and I'm about to get a workbench built so my mind has flicked back to thoughts of my 2015 blinky setup.

So I understand that Ray is able to customise pixel lengths and add tails? How best to communicate this? I require around 47m all up of pixel strip to outline the roof and garage surround. I already have conduit cut to manageable size for the roofline, so would it be best to get the strip lengths cut to these sizes? What is the best tail length at either end to ensure smooth joins and even spacing between lengths?
FYI, looking to use this strip: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html

If you are not confident soldering or cant be bothered then do a sheet with drawings of each length specifying length, number of sections and length of tails.

As far as tails go then if you are planning on joining these and fitting your own plugs then the standard length will suffice as you can just cut the cable or tuck it away for the joins because if using strip then you would want the strip butted up against eachother to keep the spacing even if making a single length from multiple pieces of strip

gerry

Senior elf
I did that last year (cause I was new to soldering) and did what Eddy has suggested .

I drew a diagram and also enclosed links to exactly which pigtails I wanted . I also asked for about 50 extra of those pigtails to ensure that I had consistency. I tried to ensure that the lengths were a factor of the 5m - ie I asked for several 2.5 metre lengths or several 2 m lengths and a few 1 metre lengths.
However , where I had to join two of them in a straight line , the joint was not neat because I could not buttress them together. So this year , I may cut those pigtails out and solder the strips (but still use a bit of the pigtail wires where they are connected to the strip).
You also need T pigtails for power injection and make sure they match in diameter.
This year , some of the stuff Ray sent simply did not work (in almost every shipment) . He replaced it , but it took a while , so ask for extra stuff.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
If you are not confident soldering or cant be bothered then do a sheet with drawings of each length specifying length, number of sections and length of tails
Spot on - I am no expert in soldering by any means, particularly with such small gauge wires. So it might cost a little extra but it will save me so much time and emotional stress :D

As far as tails go then if you are planning on joining these and fitting your own plugs then the standard length will suffice
I thought tails came with plugs? And what is the "standard" length?

My current conduit is no longer than 2m sections for ease of storage and handling and the dumb strip I use on it last year had joins in the middle of some conduit sections as I just used the 2nd hand strip lengths I was given (again lack of experience in cutting to desired lengths & soldering new tails)

The T-Sections I'll need to map out how many I need and where. I think a previous post in this thread suggested I could get away with 2 PSUs for the entire roof. Not sure of number of injection points however.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm just looking for confirmation that these will be good for roof outline and gutters?
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-WS2801-addressable-pixel-strip-36leds-m-with-12pcs-12pixels-WS2801-IC-5050-smd-rgb/701799_32283357104.html
Ive decided on 2801 for 2 reasons: reading other threads it seems to be a little more stable and better on longer lengths, and my P2 being a little bit older may not support 2811. Is the above a good distance per led? I've heard I might be able to get away with just power from both sides of roof and my not need injection, is this correct?

i13

Dedicated elf
Those strips should work fine for roof outlines however I question whether 2801 is the best option

I used a P2 with these strips last season and had no issues
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-30leds-m-10pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-10pixels-led-digital-strip-IP66-waterproof-in-silicon/701799_1590021437.html
I'm assuming the P2 hasn't changed because mine was quite new, the firmware might need updating.

The 2811 strips are a lot cheaper and my understanding is that stability is only an issue if you want longer distances of wire without null pixels or if you want to mix different types of 2811-compatible pixels. I also found that the negative line was doubled along the strip (might have been an odd batch) and in theory this should reduce voltage drop further than with the 2801 strip.

With strips there is no need to have more than the minimum available number of LEDs per metre because they're VERY bright.

When it comes to voltage drop, just do the bench testing before putting them up. As you're using 12V strip with the minimum available number of LEDs per metre, you're not going to be able to find much else that will go further without injection. Recheck my post from January 6th for the longest distances I've tried. Always cut the positive line in the strip half way between each power supply.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
OK, so seems that if I do a firmware check and/or update to the p2s then 2811 should work fine?
In that case I guess I'll order these: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-led-digital-strip-DC12V-input-WS2811IC-256-scale-10pcs-IC-and-30pcs-5050-SMD-RGB/701799_568458133.html
with instructions to Ray to add these: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4core-waterproof-connector-with-20cm-long-cable-male-and-female-black-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_601827982.html on the ends at my required lengths.
I'll then get 2-3 of these: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-12V-25A-Small-Volume-Switching-power-supply-for-LED-Strip-light-LED-module-etc/701799_32269531850.html
and I'll then manually figure out when/where/how to power inject where required?

Have I covered everything? PS, I already have conduit, zip ties and coro that can be re-used.

gerry

Senior elf
Hi,

I ran all my strips and arches and tubes and canes using 2811 and 3 P2s last year with no problem.

In addition to what you posted , you also need 'T' shaped connectors for power injection. These have a male and female at each end as well as a connector for the T.
(I don't have a link where I am , but the description says "3 core T type waterproof splitter white color - the male connectors diameter 13.5mm)

I used these pigtails (I think only diff is that they were white)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100-pairs-3-Core-White-Waterproof-Line-15cm-long-each-male-and-female-3core/701799_331631241.html

Make sure u tell Ray which pigtail male/female goes on the input side if you have a preference.

You also need pigtails to connect to the PSU for the power injection , so get a good bunch of extra ones.

i13

Dedicated elf
A correction to my previous post: I actually ordered from this exact listing but I suspect they're the same thing http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-DC12V-30leds-m-10pcs-ws2811-ic-meter-10pixels-led-digital-strip-IP66-waterproof-in-silicon/701799_1590021437.html

This is the link to the T splitter http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3-core-T-type-waterproof-splitter-the-middle-is-2core-BLACK-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_1707253215.html
I thought there was a 15mm diameter option too but can't seem to find it.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for the responses. Do the connectors need to be 3 or 4 pin?
I think I'm ready to place an order today!!

gerry

Senior elf
djgra79 said:
Thanks for the responses. Do the connectors need to be 3 or 4 pin?
I think I'm ready to place an order today!!

I used 3 pin connectors for everything and 4 core cable . For the Power injection , which only needs two wires , I doubled the 4 core wires into 2 sets of 2 wires (it used only 2 outputs of the 3 pin connectors).

But others have used it differently.

It pays to order extra - I ordered about 50 pairs of male/female and 20 3 section ones, so I was (hopefully) sure that they would be similar and would align..you can use them in the following years.

You also need to check each one before using for shorts (I admit that I did not do so)

i13

Dedicated elf
I just received an order including 12V 2811 strip from a different listing but it's likely to be the same thing. It no longer has the doubled negative line :(. Just thought I'd tell you in case you haven't ordered yet but the 2811 strip is still the option I'd recommend. Haven't ever needed 2801 myself.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks i13. I'm awaiting my quote back from Ray any minute now. I opted for 2811 in the end.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Well my order is being processed and hopefully sent this week.
I'm still a little sketchy on fuses and how/where to use them for the roof outlines. Also with power injection, do I just connect up the lights as many as I can before they start failing and then inject? I've read some people automatically do it every 2-5 meters but have also read that some can get away with 6 or more meters without injection. I don't want to blow up my first major investment out of the box.