Sydney/NSW 2016 Sydney Mini June 4-5: Register Now!!!!

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Re: Sydney Mini 2016

stews_lights said:
Can't commit to coming to the mini till dates are set, but a topic I would like to see is someone covering the physical setup of their display.

In other words.. what are some best practices for implementation 'in the field'. Installation, cable connections, placement of power, how power injection is handled, home runs to controllers, waterproofing, maintaining access to your house o you can drive your car in etc etc.

I haven't done lights before, but after research I think I understand the technical implementation of programming, scheduling, networks etc.. Its just the physical implementation that has me wondering on the best ways to go about it.

I know some members have great overview videos of their setups.. Have I missed videos where people go into detail explaining the cabling setup and how everything is physically hooked up?

Hi Stew,

these are all good questions that we all ask at one time, why don't you post this in the forum to see what other people think and do. And of course there's always chat.
cheers
Fing

Benslights

Dedicated elf

we do buy swaps and sell at the minis yes. great way to move surplus and anything else.

mborg10

Michael Borg

BensChristmasLights said:
we do buy swaps and sell at the minis yes. great way to move surplus and anything else.
If it would fit in my car is bring my mega tree for someone to buy, or I'd swap it for money.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Re: Sydney Mini 2016 april/may we want your feedback

SO any suggestions on what people want to learn?????

anyone want to give a presentation?????

lets keep this post rolling as before we know it the mini will be here

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer

Not that I will be there but I imagine that the hot topics will be
-Falcon Player
-Xlights 4
-Vixen 3
-P10 panels
-singing trees/panels under both XL4 and Vixen 4

the same topics will be at the Melb mini and I think that they are the biggest changes in the last year or so.

Benslights

Dedicated elf

come on guys and girls if we do not get this going soon we will not be having a Sydney mini this year.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf

Hi Ben,

My 10 cents
I couldn't make any of the Minis last year so this year I'm trying to make them all to say hello and put faces to names. The date isn't an issue for me, but I wouldn't like to see it clash with another mini. And the Location doesn't worry me either as I'll be travelling 4hrs both ways, as long as there's a motel and a pub close by I'm happy.

As for topics, I'm happy to present something as I taught electrical/electronics at TAFE, providing that people think my knowledge on what ever topic is sufficient..

I built some singing faces out of Coro and pixels, happy to bring these and share my experience and xlights programming for them if people are interested.

Cheers
Fing

PS; the tune to sign is also made the same way. it allows to change colour to sync with the display as well as program the numbers.

Attachments

• IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3297.JPG
    IMG_3297.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 25

DavidJ247

Full time elf

Fing said:
I built some singing faces out of Coro and pixels, happy to bring these and share my experience and xlights programming for them if people are interested.

Hi Fing, those singing faces look great! Do you have any video of them in action?

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf

Hi David,
I do have a little bit but I have to sort it out before I post it, and I'm a bit time poor atm. stay tuned lol
Cheers
Fing

lytnin

Full time elf

I'd like to learn some of the advanced features on the FPP.

- Using scripts. What's already available and how to install them.
- How to set up event triggers.
- How to play a random song list in between shows and have a background sequence running. (If that is even possible)

Just throwing it out there.

Benslights

Dedicated elf

ok lytnin sounds like something I'm sure someone can talk on

keithsw1111

Senior elf

I will definitely try to get to this years mini ... I have learnt so much over the past few years.

I would be happy to do presentation on one or more of the following:

- xLights
- general overview
- doing coro or bitmap faces and voice synchonisation in xLights
- being a contributor to xLights development ... what is involved
- Interactivity ... I could describe how eddy and I make the sydney tree interactive and how the same concepts could be used in home displays
- Introduction to e131 ... how it all works ... and how to troubleshoot it when it doesn't.
- Arduino as a pixel controller - I have 9 of them running pixels, low voltage and high voltage display elements
- Indispensable Tools and techniques - the regular ones right up to advanced electrical troubleshooting tools - including hardware (the bunnings and jaycar types) and software.

Troy ELD

Full time elf
Community project designer

Definitely attending Ben.

For all the novice lighters, Last year was my very first computer controlled display. The mini gave me alot of exposure to different elements, Controllers and software out in the market. It really is a must if you want to learn more on what is right for your display.

B_P_J

Full time elf

ME - THERE - BELLS - ON!!!!
only one problem... I didn't do Wizards of Winter in my display this year, I was going to, lol

Benslights

Dedicated elf

anyone have a location we can use as have not heard back from other location