240 VOLT AC SNOWFLAKES

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Hi Guys,

I have some 240VAC snowflakes from previous static dsiplay years I'd like to add control to along with the DC leds I will be controlling and adding this year.

One of these items looks like this,

snowflake.jpg

They have a controller already attached which I'm sure I'll have cut off but I'm wondering what I'd need to be able incorporate these elements into my show?

I basically have eight channels or items to add control to. Any help would be great.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
We'll need a bit more info coxie.
Is it just the 240V snowflakes you want info on controlling or is it the leds as well.
What program are you controlling with (LOR, Vixen, LSP), do you want to dime/fade/etc or do you just want to be able to turn them fully on or fully off.
Is this expected to become an outdoor decoration and have IP55 or higher sealing rating?
What other hardware do you have that you are using that could possibly be MacGuyvered onto maybe. With a bit of knowledge and an evil laugh you can do some good things.

kool-lites

Full time elf
talk2coxie said:
Hi Guys,

I have some 240VAC snowflakes from previous static dsiplay years I'd like to add control to along with the DC leds I will be controlling and adding this year.

They have a controller already attached which I'm sure I'll have cut off but I'm wondering what I'd need to be able incorporate these elements into my show?

I basically have eight channels or items to add control to. Any help would be great.

How many channels is the current controller?

As it is a 240Vac item you could use a basic AC dimmer ( you already have some of RPMs 4 channel controllers).

Matt

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
The photo looks to be 240v LED.

Are there different procedures for this? I'd imagine so..

I've got some 240v LED snowflakes (static fortunately) but I'm hesitant to dim them.

tuppet

Apprentice elf
We have two Lynx Express units from DIYC, which are capable of dimming 240V (with some minor modifications following the instructions in the manual). These run on DMX and have 16 outputs. We have found them to be very easy to use, and we still use one of these units to run the last of our 240V rope light and a 240V Merry Christmas Sign.

If you need a DMX based solution I'd generally recommend those.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
More info and answers to your posts
I am looking for help with the 240VAC snowflakes only as I think I have the led's sorted for now.
I'm using LSPV2 to control the show ideally in a DMX universe and for these snowflakes I'd be happy to be able to control a simple on and off feature.
They are currently an outdoor item and would like to leave them outside.
Matt, I do not currently have any hardware suitable for 240VAC. The controllers on these flakes can only control the blink rate from a push button.
David, I've read your link on the wiki (I reckon I've read the whole wiki a hundred times!) but I still don't understand what type of controllers I can use.
Ryan, these motifs are 240V.
Tuppet, thanks for your info, I'll look into the Lynx Express controllers.
Hope that helps clear things up a little?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
All you should need is a standard 240Vac controller. LOR make them and there are various kit versions available too.

The wiki article was simply to show that you can (with care) discard the original controllers off 240Vac motifs and drive them with a DMX controller instead.

For LED motifs, there may be more to it when it comes to using them with a controller other than what they came with. I'd really need to see the guts of the controller to make sure.

keith33

New elf
i'd also like some further info on this one guys...i got a couple of CTB16PC boards off Eddie to run my AC ropes and motifs with LSP2 though i'm still unsure how to re wire the stars and such.

Are the circuits 240v AC native on these motifs or do they convert to DC in the controll box? David i did read your info on the WIKI several times and i must admit i agree with Coxie i'm still a little confuzzled....my stars have a single cable from the controller to a splitter or "Y" junction. Can i cut the Y out and rewire 2 standard 2 pin plugs to the channels and run straight from the LOR board?

Also like Coxie i'm not looking for dimming ability just ON/OFF would be fine

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Ok guys, I get the message. That wiki article is a dud ! :D

Keith, if the motif uses incandescent lamps (not LED), you *should* be able to just cut the junction out.

If you want to try one, pop into chat when you're ready to have a go and I'll walk you though it. You have a multimeter I hope?

keith33

New elf
i wouldn't say it was a dud David just not clear to me that's all :)

the motifs and ropes i want to modify are all LED but yes i will try to get onto chat a little later as i'm about to be dragged around market for the morning :p

yes i have a CAT3 multi meter and pretty much all the necessary gear just missing some of the know how...maybe it's a good topic to consider for the Bris mini next year too