27 Watt RGB LED flood

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Been working on fiddling around with making a new type of flood. There is a pic over in media of it.
It consist of (3) of each RGB 3w Star Led's. Furture version I would like to have a built in DMX controller within housing.
Up untill about 10 minutes ago, I had severe heat issues with it. Was able to control the current perfect @700mA, but the darn regs and resistors couldn't handle it. Playing with the LM350 regs that are suppose to be good for 3-5 amps. Thanks to AussiePhil, he suggested wiring the regs a little different than standard, and BANG....IT work. Thank you Phil

Have had it turned on now for 15 minutes, blinding the cat, and all chips are only barely warm. Before, within 1 minute, I would either fry the reg, or come close to melting it.

Just need to re-mess with resistors to get the fmA up to 700, only getting about 500 now. Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again Phil, Chuck

(just added the images Chuck, Phil)

Attachments

• cenote led flood two 3watt bulbs Blue LED IMG_2054.jpg
    cenote led flood two 3watt bulbs Blue LED IMG_2054.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 0
  • cenote led flood 27watt Front Profile DSCF7598.JPG
    cenote led flood 27watt Front Profile DSCF7598.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 0

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great to hear that you have sorted the heating issues. I look forward now to hearing more detail on the flood

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
cenote said:
Have had it turned on now for 15 minutes, blinding the cat, and all chips are only barely warm. Before, within 1 minute, I would either fry the reg, or come close to melting it.
Just need to re-mess with resistors to get the fmA up to 700, only getting about 500 now. Will keep you all posted.
Thanks again Phil, Chuck

Chuck

absolutely no problem, glad it has worked out and that I could be of help.

When's the release?

Cheers
Phil

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
OK....Had a very bad day, and forgot to give thanks to somebody too.
So, THANK YOU Aproct (andy) too for all your help.
With out you and Phil, this flood would still be a pile of parts ;)

Planning at this point to just share any details with anybody on here who wants to build.
Next phase will be a better PCB board to mount LED's too, than will tackle the DMX controller.
Maybe do a co-op on the PCB's, but don't except anything for a while. I have a major addition I am starting on my house this summer if all goes well. (taking my ranch and adding a second floor).