2811 pixel to dc board/s

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
AAH said:
It's easy to build a 3 channel 1 but the cost overheads for the remaining electronics means that anything much under 20 channels would push the cost per channel up a fair bit.

Totally agree. The 3 channel 2801 and 6803 versions I made sold like pet rocks ! :(

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Without going into the design too much so far as I'm still very early in the development stage I'd say there is likely to be about $25 to $30 of board and electronics without a channel attached. Once you start adding channels at something like $1.50 channel the cost per channel starts getting reasonable. $35 for a 3 channel board would be expensive when a 12 channel would be about $50.
These are only very rough guesstimates as all I have so far is a schematic and proto pricing for the required parts.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
As a guide, my 3 channel ones were (are) $22 incl GST. They don't have the isolation that you were talking about though. Not sure if that helps.

anon

Apprentice elf
Do you have rough ideas of size? Cost is obviously a factor, but one reason why a 3 channel would be handy is it could be stuck in a small jiffy box.

Is there much circuitry is around the 2811 itself (reverse polarity protecting, voltage regs, fusing etc)? Is there also an option to have a really simplistic variant that is effective he same as a cheap cheerful chinese 2811 module, just with a phoenix connector connecting to the pins in the place of RGB LEDs?

AAH

The 2811 chip itself is only designed to drive into an 18mA load so to be of any use it needs to go into a mosfet driver to get enough oomph to drive a mosfet and a mosfet per channel. IF the same supply was used for the pixels and the dmb element then you could get away with no regulator and potentially no reverse voltage protection but that limits the application to either 5V or 12V dumb elements and the wiring to the board becomes fairly important. Rather than build a board that suits a tiny niche market I'm trying to make a board that suits a fairly wide range of applications. I'm starting with a 30 channel board which should be somewhere in the vicinity of half the size of the Ray Wu 27 channel board and after that is done I'll look at whether a 12 channel board is economical.

starzen

New elf
Very interested in this as well
this is what brought me over from the LOR forum. I would love to switch to using pixels this year but was thinking that often a dumb strip would be fine but the standard DC controllers are just too expensive and channel limited. A E1.31 controller and a 2811 to DC would be nice
Mike

ThaiWay

1500 C9's are not green
So, do I have this right? A 60-ch DC board would appear to the output as 20 pixels?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ThaiWay said:
So, do I have this right? A 60-ch DC board would appear to the output as 20 pixels?

Yes this is correct, it does this over 4 seperate banks and you also have the ability to run different voltages from the one power supply through the controller,

AAH

Eddy was right then he went wrong. The 30 channel board which is what I'm a few days off having the proto ready to send off to have made appears as 10 pixels. The mega60 which I make has the 4 banks and the ability to run different voltages from the 1 power supply. At this stage this pixel board which is tentatively called AAH2811DC30 runs off the 1 power supply and has 1 bank and will be rated for 30A. I'm debating on whether to add the extra fuse and make it 2 banks of 15 with each side being rated to 30A.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
ThaiWay said:

Yes this is correct, it does this over 4 seperate banks and you also have the ability to run different voltages from the one power supply through the controller,

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AAH said:
Eddy was right then he went wrong. The 30 channel board which is what I'm a few days off having the proto ready to send off to have made appears as 10 pixels. The mega60 which I make has the 4 banks and the ability to run different voltages from the 1 power supply. At this stage this pixel board which is tentatively called AAH2811DC30 runs off the 1 power supply and has 1 bank and will be rated for 30A. I'm debating on whether to add the extra fuse and make it 2 banks of 15 with each side being rated to 30A.

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
ThaiWay said:

I now relize that this about the 2811 DC controller and not your 60 channel DC board, I just focussed on the 60 channel and was blind to the rest, DOH!

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
So you are saying it will be 30A (or maybe 60A) of DC goodness from 2811 data. What will the individual channel rating be?

This product is sounding better all the time!

AAH

I'm still choosing which mosfet to use so that I can keep the cost down but it's likely to be between 2A and 3A per channel.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
AAH said:
I'm still choosing which mosfet to use so that I can keep the cost down but it's likely to be between 2A and 3A per channel.

Sweet! So I can replace my 27ch dmx ray boards with 30ch ws2811 boards and use them in $10 Masters boxes!

I can't wait to hear more about these boards.

drakky

Senior elf
Kaden said:
AAH said:

Sweet! So I can replace my 27ch dmx ray boards with 30ch ws2811 boards and use them in $10 Masters boxes!

I can't wait to hear more about these boards.
bugger I just bought 2 of rays 27ch boards :'(

riri7707

Full time elf
This is what I made 2 years ago:
Double action 2801 board 3cm*3cm :
1st option : RGB pixel 3x5050 display (soldered on top side/not shown here)
2nd option: RGB output to drive 3 outputs/ DC third party RGB lights.
So easy to do it for WS2811 as well...