1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

2811 strobe setup

Discussion in 'Strobes - LED or Others' started by scamper, Nov 2, 2015.

1. scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    I have some 2811 strobes that I got off Kane last year. I am running vixen 3 and using a f16v2 controller.
    I have done some testing and can turn the strobes on through da-dmx and they appear to be on the red channel.
    The question is two fold.
    1/ When I set them up in the f16, do I set them as 2811 50 pixels?
    2/ When I set them up and patch them in vixen 3, do I set them up as 50 pixels and 3 colours, then patch 150 channels?
    (obviously it will only use 50 channels)

2. OP
    OP
    scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Nothing? nobody has done this before?
    Or is it just that I asked a question on the busiest message board day in months?

3. Skunberg

Skunberg Full Time Elf

I thought the pixel controller ws2811 was on the board with the white led. And it was preprogrammed to ramdom strobe. And all you had to do supply 5vdc.

4. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    You still set them us a 50 pixels in the hardware.

As for the software I have no idea. Not sure how you add lots of channels while skipping 2 out of every 3.

You can certainly patch them as 50 RGB (150 consecutive channels).

Setting the pixel to white will cause the LED to be on; the unused colour channels won't be an issue.

5. mick8248

mick8248 Full Time Elf

Reading this reminded me that I had a few strings of these lying around, so I dug them out and gave them a try. As David said just set them up as 50 pixels or what ever number you have, I'm using a F16V2, and am giving xlights a go this year, not sure about vixen but xlights has a strobe effect that must trigger in white only (there was no changes when I changed the pallette colour)and the strobes work well.

6. OP
    OP
    scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Thanks for the responses.
    I decided just to set them up as 50 channels of rgb and use white (or red as that seems to be the channel it is on)
    It all works OK, I just wasn't sure if there was another "proper" way to do it.

7. mick8248

mick8248 Full Time Elf

As this is the first time I have tried them I am quite happy with how they look, was just wondering if anyone might have a couple of strings of these that they want to sell, could now do with some more.