3ch EasyDMX controller with 12V LED strips

vincerules

Full time elf
I am trying to light these 12V LED strips with this DMX controller from Ray Wu through a ECG-D2. I have the cat5 cable plugged into port 1 on the ECG-D2 then the orange and orange/white cables going to the DMX + and - on the DMX controller. I have 12V power going to both devices.

How should the LED strip be connected to the DMX controller? It has 4 output pins and this is where I am confused. The LED strip lights up if i connect it straight to the 12V supply, so I know it works. but I can't figure out how to control it using this DMX controller.

Any ideas? Please let me know if you need any other info on my setup and/or pics. Thank you.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I don't know the controller specifically but it is probably marked with something like V+, R, G and B on the 4 outputs. The strip looks to be single colour so you would wire the +ve of the 3 strips all to the V+ output terminal and 3 strips to the R, G and B terminals. Set the start address and Bobs your uncle. It is quite possible that either switch 1 or switch 10 will turn on a test mode but that's just a guess.

kane

Dedicated elf
For initial testing, I would ignore the LED strip - I would focus on ensuring that the EasyDMX controller is getting a DMX signal. I don't have any of these, but looking at the picture, there is a "DMX SIGN" Led, which should let you know if it is receiving a signal okay.. I don't know if it flashes or lights on solid if there is a signal, but you can get a baseline by completing disconnecting the DMX cable. Then, connect your DMX cable, and see what the light does now... If it doesn't change, then either:

a) the D2 is not spitting out a DMX signal
b) your DMX cable is incorrectly wired

To rule out the first issue, you'll want to load up the D2 web config, and ensure that the output is enabled, and has a universe entered. Perhaps post a screenshot of your config if unsure.

With the second potential issue - firstly, make sure that you've wired all 3 dmx wires +VE, -VE and GND. Some people seem to get away without connecting GND, but most people don't - you should always connect it.

Also, make sure you use the wiring diagrams from the Wiki (or if you've just cut off a pre-made Cat5 cable, at least compare the cable to the diagrams to ensure that you've connected the correct wires)

Blickensderfer

Ohio, USA
I hope this helps.
3chdmx.jpg

If you turn over the controller you will see the symbols to identify the connectors. I just used a marker to label the top. Orange/OrangeWhite would connect to D+ and D-

vincerules

Full time elf
Here is my configuration. The DMX controller light blinks rapidly when I have it connected to the D2

NvgMm.jpg

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
that looks fine, you have set up only the first output for only 3 channels. the rapid flashind dmx light on the controller means its seeing the DMX stream.

Are you using test software at the moment or sequencing software to test.

With e 131 testing I always use DA_E131 test utility its a great little prgram and simple to use

Superman

Global moderator
also its not going to hurt to turn on ACT and set the universe size to full 512 in the bottom box

vincerules

Full time elf
I have da_131. I just loaded it and verified with the ecg-d2 statistics page that it is receiving the signal, but the light isnt turning on.

OK I just changed it to this:

6IWFY.png

Superman

Global moderator
if you flick switch 10 on the DMX boarb to on and remove the DMX cable does it put the lights into test pattern?

Superman

Global moderator
if that works it may be a faulty dip switch on the board. I have had a couple of dud ones myself. choose another start channel for the board that doesn't use switch 1 and try that.

vincerules

Full time elf
OK, I did some testing, and if I put the + wire from the light strip to the + on the power in on the dmx controller, then put the - wire from the light strip into one of the outgoing dmx ports I can control the light on/off/fade/etc.

Does that sound normal at all?

Superman

Global moderator
sounds like the v+ track on the board has a fault. You can use it like that.

vincerules

Full time elf
With that setup I flipped dip switch 10 and it did the test mode thing. Let me test another controller and see if it acts the same.

vincerules

Full time elf
Alright! Success! Looks like the board was faulty like you said. The new board is working perfectly! Thank you very much for your help

Superman

Global moderator
Great to here, It's always a bit harder when the first one you pick up doesn't work.