3Ch Pixel to RGB Controller

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Out of necessity and also partly due to constantly being bent over on shipping charges to Aus.
I have developed my own version of a 3 channel Pixel to DMX controller.

bfSHgV3J

Basically it allows you to control 3 channels of DMX or 1 RGB Channel within your 2811 pixel run. The board is effectively 1 WS2811 Pixel
I intend on using it to control my Tree Star which will just be Dumb RGB nodes (1 RGB Channel), this way I can just hang it off the last pixel on the tree.
The output is isolated from the input via jumpers allowing the use of a separate power source for the RGB
for instance if your using this in a 5V pixel run then you can run 12V dumb strip using a separate power source.

damo1271

Full time elf
I am wondering if I understand this device correctly and if this is a simple as it seems!
The unit looks to take a ws2811 input and drive a dumb strip of RGB LEDs using a MOSFET to control each colour. If so does it support colour mixing, that is driving each colour at less than the maximum voltage?

Hope this makes sense. thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
What it is is a baby version of my 2811DC15 (2811DC30) boards. Ruprect (Rod) and I worked through the design in chat as he was wanting to create a higher power RGB element for his tree topper. The input side of the design is simply a 2811 pixel which goes through a quad opto to isolate the pixel from the DC sides and it also takes care of inverting the signal to drive the mosfets.
This was Rods 1st pcb design and he proudly showed it off to me at the Melbourne mini.
As far as colour mixing etc goes it purely is a 2811 pixel effectively so anything you can do to control a 2811 pixel you can do the same for this board.

As a shear coincidence Rod actually won one of my 2811DC15 boards on day 2 of the mini.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Mate that's great work. I don't know if you have an electronics background or not but if not it's even a greater achievement. Wish I had even 1/10 of the knowledge to understand how you did that.

It will be good to look at your lights and know you can say you built it all.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
No idea if there would be enough demand to warrant making them? Maybe Alan has something like this in the pipeline?

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Sorry been a tad busy.

Alan explained it perfectly.
Dkulp: - Thats the board that actually triggered this one.
It was going to cost me about $50 to get one shipped here so I thought bugger it I'll build my own....
So with some expert guidance from AAH this is the end result.

Fits perfectly with what I want to do, I'll drive a 3ch RGB Star on top of my tree using a spare pixel channel on one of the tree universes. The star will just be the last pixel in the run.
The board is fairly small now its only 50mm x 50mm and if anyone is after one I have enough bits here for
another 8 boards so let me know.
Cheers
Rod