3D Printable 70cm 150 node star

drakky

Senior elf
what did you use to glue the petg parts together with? I've heard petg is difficult to glue

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
I didn't glue at all, I just cranked some zipties down through the holes :D it survived fine this year bar one bulb cover that fell off before I put it up and didn't notice was missing.

drakky

Senior elf
I used superglue but it a fragile shall we say, since putting these together i have got some MEK in and it will glue PETG

Cheers
Phil
sorry Phil , what's MEK ? never heard of it , also I can't seem to get PETG to stick the glass bed , tried hairspray and different temps , any tips?

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
sorry Phil , what's MEK ? never heard of it , also I can't seem to get PETG to stick the glass bed , tried hairspray and different temps , any tips?
MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone

You honestly don't want to play with that if you don't have to, it *does* have a superior bond given it's a solvent bond (it melts the parts together) but it's really not fun stuff (Says the guy with a 20L bottle of Toluene and a tin of Dichloromethane in the shed)

Both polyurethane and silicone adhesives can give you a strong but flexible joint (as in not brittle like CA/Superglue is) and should work reasonably well in that model.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Hi drakky

As Freeman says, MEK is one of the nastier solvents but it is in widespread use and with sensible precautions it's ok. It's not hard to buy these days.

anyone using PETG for 3D printing probable needs a little if they want to dissolve petg blocked nozzles, it's actually why I have it.

Cheers
Phil