3D Printer

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Ok, you guys have me thinking about getting a 3D printer in the near future and I was curious before I dive into all the literature if anyone has had any experience with a Prusa i3 like this (basically a REPRAP): http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-Upgraded-best-selling-prusa-i3-3d-printer-machine-2-rolls-filament-SD-card-free/1502993_32378067528.html
Seems like a good deal for a beginner 3D printer, nothing too fancy but a real DIY project.
Anyone that has a 3D printer see any glaring shortcomings to a model like the above? Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
all good adski found it comes with one

hotbed.png

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Nothing wrong with the model.
I'd be more concerned re the price, "You get what you pay for"
I can't see any specs on which Ramps or stepper drivers they provide. Theres some dodgey electronics on the market you need to be wary of.
Also as Ben said it doesnt look like it has a heated bed. Although you can easily add one for around $30.

I sourced and built my own which was loosely based on the Prusa.
I didnt use low end quality parts but they werent top end either. Mine cost me around $450 - $600 2 years ago.

But on the other hand at that price its looks like a cheap way to get started and build your own. You'll learn all about it that way.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What material are you planning on mainly using PLA or ABS.

If ABS the you may want to look at a cover to keep temps stable because ABS hates any cool drafts, if its PLA then should not be any issue

Also look at what software support this has, because you dont want to be stuck using limited software because of compatability issues

Anyway looks like you already ordered it yesterday, so please provide some feedback on how it goes for you when you have had time to have a good play with it as im sure at that price that will be in the budget of most DIYers

DrNeutron

Nope haven't ordered it, was planning on a month or so before x-mas so I have something to play with once the show comes down in January ;)
As for material probably mainly PLA since I am a complete newb on the 3d printer side.
Software was my main concern as well, this is where I will have to start sifting through the documents.
As for cool drafts.....nahhh....in the "balmy" part of Canada.. haha :D
I was wondering about fumes more than anything, should I be looking at an enclosure?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DrNeutron said:
Nope haven't ordered it, was planning on a month or so before x-mas so I have something to play with once the show comes down in January ;)
As for material probably mainly PLA since I am a complete newb on the 3d printer side.
Software was my main concern as well, this is where I will have to start sifting through the documents.
As for cool drafts.....nahhh....in the "balmy" part of Canada.. haha :D
I was wondering about fumes more than anything, should I be looking at an enclosure?

PLA wont give off to much fumes but ABS does. The enclosure doesnt stop the smell as its more about providing a stable warm environment when doing ABS. if doing ABS you may want to do this in the garage due to the fumes created, but in Canada where your temps get very low then it may be worthwhile having an enclosure.

Looks like someone from Australia ordered one yesterday

DrNeutron

Thanks for that info eddy, that is exactly the feedback I was looking for.
I hope if someone from the forum ordered that kit, they report back on the quality......

DrNeutron

AndrewA said:
Fasteddy said:
Looks like someone from Australia ordered one yesterday

I would be the guilty One, Keen to give it a try and will provide feedback back to the forum
Awesome, looking forward to it.

andrewa

Full time elf
The Printer arrived today.

IMG_1056.jpg

First thing I noticed the perspex is a nice shade of Pink
The perspex is coated both sides with protective film

More details as I assemble

Assembly Instructions are on the supplied CD

andrewa

Full time elf
7 hours later and the printer is assembled ( not yet wired up though)

The assemble is relatively simple as long as you follow the video instructions.

No parts are labeled, so you pause the video to find the correct pieces to assemble
IMG_1061.jpg

Will continue assemble and wire it up after work tomorrow