3D printers, March 2020

bpratt

Full time elf
I'm seriously considering getting myself a 3D printer, and am looking at recommendations as to what is currently 'top of the pops' as at March 2020 ?

As stuff happens in the tech industry, I'm sure what has been recommended previously, may or may not be the best buy at this point of time, and what might be recommended now may not be the best option in 6 months time, which is why I've dated the post, so in future we can see what's was good right now. :)

Dreamin

New elf
You can’t go past a Prusa MK3. I’ve had two Aldi printers and they are great but need a lot of fiddling to get running consistently. The Prusa is pretty much click and print, auto level, 24V, great service and support with a great community.
Pre warning though it’s another time absorbing hobby, like lights. Steep learning curve but it’s so rewarding to design something, and have it in your hand within the same day. I’ve spend the last two years learning it, and feel I’ve got a good understand of it, and now I’ve started lights and I’m back at the start of the learning curve!

scamper

Dedicated elf
I researched for almost a year before getting my first printer. Budget was my biggest hurdle at the time and I ended up getting an anet A6.
I still have it now, without all the mods that everyone will tell you it needs, and it prints great.
I also bought a cr10s (i really wanted a Prusa mk3 but again... funds) and that is also good in many other ways. it is larger and quieter, but takes more work in slicing etc to get a good print, I still use the A6 as my go to printer.

Dreamin

New elf
I still have it now, without all the mods that everyone will tell you it needs, and it prints great.
If it's 12V you'll need a mosfet on the heatbed, and update firmware to turn on safety features. All easy to do. Saves burning down your house :)

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Global moderator
I mostly print in ABS especially for things outside but depends on your printer also as to what it can print

scamper

Dedicated elf
If it's 12V you'll need a mosfet on the heatbed, and update firmware to turn on safety features. All easy to do. Saves burning down your house :)
If you read the specs of the mosfets, the one on the printers board is actually better than the remote one, and the main problem is the plug to the heatbed so by soldering it on, you alleviate that.
And my printer is in the shed with remote monitoring ;)