1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

.5m Rigid Strip

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by mmais68569, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mmais68569

mmais68569 New Elf

Find Me On:
  2. Kaden

Kaden Pixels! I need more pixels!

I just zip tie the flexible strip onto PVC pipe and that makes it rigid enough for me - look at my roof line or the arms of the fans for reference.

Santa Claus Is Coming (First Run) on Vimeo

The PVC option is significantly cheaper (in transport costs).

3. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    The cost will be a lot more using rigid strip. If you plan to leave it up all year then the rigid strip may be of good value for you. If you are only going to use the strip during Christmas then the 25mm electrical conduit is a better and cheaper option.

4. OP
    OP
    mmais68569

mmais68569 New Elf

Find Me On:
    I thought about using flex strips but have not had very good luck soldering on the connectors. Is there a trick to the soldering?

Mike

5. Kaden

Sure is, it's practice! :)

There are lots of YouTube videos in soldering and also some on soldering LED strip.

Basically you:
    1. Heat the wire and apply solder to the wire (not the iron - only the wire) this is called tinning.
    2. Heat the copper pad on the strip and apply solder to it too (again not to the iron only the copper pad).
    3. Put the tinned wire on the tinned pad and put the iron on on top on the wire until they melt together.

If that proves too challenging, that's ok, tell Ray the lengths of LED strip you need and he will put the connectors on for you (for a charge if course).

6. OP
    OP
    mmais68569

mmais68569 New Elf

Find Me On:
    was only tinning the wire not the pad I will try both

thanks

7. Kaden

Make sure you clean the tip regularly before and while soldering (I just use a damp sponge and run the tip on it).

Also melt a small amount of solder on the tip after each clean - it will make the tip cleaner (the flux in the solder does that) and it transfers heat better!

8. Bird

Bird Proud LOR user

Another reason to practice your soldering skills, rigid strips are always rigid, flexible strips can be made rigid with pipe etc. but can be used as flexible again if desired.