.5m Rigid Strip

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The cost will be a lot more using rigid strip. If you plan to leave it up all year then the rigid strip may be of good value for you. If you are only going to use the strip during Christmas then the 25mm electrical conduit is a better and cheaper option.

mmais68569

New elf
I thought about using flex strips but have not had very good luck soldering on the connectors. Is there a trick to the soldering?

Mike

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
mmais68569 said:
I thought about using flex strips but have not had very good luck soldering on the connectors. Is there a trick to the soldering?

Mike

Sure is, it's practice! :)

There are lots of YouTube videos in soldering and also some on soldering LED strip.

Basically you:
1. Heat the wire and apply solder to the wire (not the iron - only the wire) this is called tinning.
2. Heat the copper pad on the strip and apply solder to it too (again not to the iron only the copper pad).
3. Put the tinned wire on the tinned pad and put the iron on on top on the wire until they melt together.

If that proves too challenging, that's ok, tell Ray the lengths of LED strip you need and he will put the connectors on for you (for a charge if course).

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
mmais68569 said:
was only tinning the wire not the pad I will try both
Make sure you clean the tip regularly before and while soldering (I just use a damp sponge and run the tip on it).

Also melt a small amount of solder on the tip after each clean - it will make the tip cleaner (the flux in the solder does that) and it transfers heat better!

Bird

LOR user
mmais68569 said:
Another reason to practice your soldering skills, rigid strips are always rigid, flexible strips can be made rigid with pipe etc. but can be used as flexible again if desired.