A big Howdy from Illinois, USA

LightChristmas

New elf
Greetings from the part of Illinois that Time Forgot. Where men are men, and the power company gets nervous when I start hauling out the lights. ;)

Am an utter "newb" to DMX, so am attempting to assimilate all there is to know (as of now) about DMX in a month or two. Or at least learn enough to be dangerous.

Have used several sequencing packages over 6 years - Dasher, Spectrum, LOR; but have found Aurora to be the best insofar as using the LOR/D-Light controllers. Aurora is in the midst of going open source DMX - the next logical step in the evolution of our lighting obsessions, so want to take full advantage of it by going RGB - about 96 100-pixel strands for starters - just to replace the Megatrees.

Looking forward to talking more with everyone.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, glad you joined us. The guys here are very helpful and all that you need to do is just ask either in the posts or in the chat room and im sure you should find your answers.
Doesnt seem like you do things small, 96 x 100 RGB pixel strings = 28800 channels, thats some serious channel counts.
Anyway hope we can help you in your transition into RGB lighting

LightChristmas

New elf
Thanks for welcome guys!

Yeah. When I did the math last week, I realized that I had a serious sequencing programming chore ahead of me. From a "piddly" 240 channels to 118 times that number made my jaw drop a bit! Luckily with Aurora there are some great tools/features that make things go a bit quicker.

And yes, some serious coin is going to be needed! Ah well - kids can pay their own way for college! ;) Way I figure it, by the time I get around to replacing the entire light show with DMX (800+ mini light strings), the price break between LED and Incandescent will be a bit more reasonable. :D

There are some sick and twisted things I've been wanting to do with both Megas for a few years that cannot be easily done with "old-school" hardware. And those 96 100/ct strings will only cover the front half of the trees for now.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
LightChristmas said:
Thanks for welcome guys!

Yeah. When I did the math last week, I realized that I had a serious sequencing programming chore ahead of me. From a "piddly" 240 channels to 118 times that number made my jaw drop a bit! Luckily with Aurora there are some great tools/features that make things go a bit quicker.

And yes, some serious coin is going to be needed! Ah well - kids can pay their own way for college! ;) Way I figure it, by the time I get around to replacing the entire light show with DMX (800+ mini light strings), the price break between LED and Incandescent will be a bit more reasonable. :D

There are some sick and twisted things I've been wanting to do with both Megas for a few years that cannot be easily done with "old-school" hardware. And those 96 100/ct strings will only cover the front half of the trees for now.

Have you looked at LightShow Pro 1.8, Version 2 which has great performance and stability improvements is due out soon (currently in beta) there are many great tools in there that are perfect for large RGB displays

The other thing to note is that the RGB leds are much brighter than traditional minis so you may not need as many as you did with the minis.

LightChristmas

New elf
Thanks Eddy, but am committed to Aurora.

Good to hear the intensity is better unlike they were a few years back. Like to keep some as emergency spares for when disaster strikes (as it usually does each year).

budude

Way behind schedule - again...
What part of Illinois are you from? I'm originally from Geneseo near the Quad Cities - great place to grow up!