AAHs (LSP) critical nature

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
not to bump an old thread, but i was actually finding it quite educational hearing from people who have used or are thinking of using LSP and the fears they have with switching.
Please feel free to close the topic if it has run its course, but I would actually like to hear more. That way, the developers (who are members here too) can read and listen to the end user

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Feedback is always a good thing and helps people drive to be better so this was a good thread which provided some important feedback.

But I must also say that if people do have issues with LSP then the LSP forum is the best place to place those posts because you always have the developers, beta testers and users of LSP visiting there and you will have more success with getting a resolution as there will be a lot more experienced LSP users there to help

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It seems my criticism from 6 weeks ago may well have been unfounded. To ensure that users get every little bit of sequencing time in before Xmas LSP has decided that instead of releasing LSP 2.8 early it will be released some time AFTER 1st October. This isn't necessarily just due to the programmers/coders but may also be due to alpha/beta testers now finding more broken stuff as they themselves get into the serious end of sequencing.

AAH said:
My final criticism for today is that as of the last I heard the next public release of LSP is meant to be on the 1st of October. This is only weeks away from when people are expecting to actually be using the sequencer to finalise their sequencing and then output to their displays. Based on the fact that every sequencer has issues when they do a public release it is unlikely that all bugs still in the software will be fixed in the 8 weeks from then until December will be fixed as it is now more than 8 months since the end of last December and there are still dozens of bugs being reported as part of the beta program and from users.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
Still quite cynical huh Alan. lol, I cant speak for LSP, but progress has been made in leaps and bounds for both scheduler and sequencer. Cant offer any update on the release date/time but, i dont see it being far away from release.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Woohoo. LSP 2.8 is out.
I hope that in some small way me making a nuisance of myself has helped move things along.
The description here makes it sound like things have come a long way which is a good thing. The only thing I noted and almost hope that it is a typo is the mention of "beta" a number of times in the following last paragraph from the V2.8 announcement.

Purchasing Considerations - Important LSP V2.5 and V2.8 ‘interface’ information
To mitigate confusion during your purchasing/upgrade considerations, we offer the follow summary:
1. When purchasing the new V2.8 product, you will be receiving an enhanced (completely re-written) Scheduler and a beta Sequencer with improved functionality over the V2.5 Sequencer, and a commitment to address and correct uncovered inefficiencies throughout the season.
2. Further, because the new V2.8 Scheduler will run sequences from either the V2.8 beta Sequencer or the V2.5 Sequencer, you can chose between the two Sequencers when running your Shows.
3. Additional details to follow in the ‘release document’.

kane

Dedicated elf
Nah, the beta is not a typo - they've decided to release 2.8 officially as a beta:

[quote author=LSP Website]
Given the dynamics of this ‘Sequencer Plan’, the V2.8 Sequencer will be released in beta form, and will include a series of enhancements with some corrected legacy issues. And in the spirit of any beta release, as noted in item #1(c) above, we will continue to address the remaining legacy issues through the end of the season. This approach has a two-fold purpose; offering improvements to the V2.5 Sequencer (even though in beta form), and opening our beta process to the entire community for further testing and feedback for use during our next year Sequencer re-write
[/quote]