AC Relay for controlling ACL Mk2 Strobes

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
I am finally getting around to building the strobes I bought from Alan on the GB last year (thanks again for doing that AAH and looking forward to another this year).
My 1st thought was to use a spare channel from my Ray Wu 27 channel DMX controller as explained in a few threads, but then I came to realize I may not have any spare channels this coming year due to the wife asking for more dumb RGB stuff....
I do however, have spare channels on my REN32 (not planning on adding any more AC stuff). I run dirkcheap SSR's off the REN32 (rated for 1amp/channel). If I were to use the REN32 and Dirkcheaps to run some strobes what kind of relay would I need? Can someone point me to an example? Any idea how many would run from a dirkcheap channel if using 1amp as rule of thumb?
Thanks.

P.S. I am 3 for 3 so far in fixing the PIC on backwards issue.....thank god I have a hot air gun (SMD rework station), but of course getting the PIC off is easy, soldering it back on.....well.....let's just say it doesn't look as pretty as before but it works. ;) :D

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I guess there's no reason you couldn't run a relay off the AC controller output.

The relay coil would have to be a 110V AC type (assuming your mains is 110V AC).

The normally open (NO) contacts would wire in series with a 5V DC power supply to switch the strobes on/off.

I'd recommend using a plug-in relay with screw terminal base. Of course you'll have to be very careful and keep the coil and contact wiring well separated.

The amount of strobes you can run will be determined by the contact rating on the relay, not the SSR.

DrNeutron

Thanks for the input Dave...
Just one question though....all the relays I see show DC as input.
Here is an example of what I find:
ssr.JPG

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
No, what you want is a good old electromechanical relay with a mains AC coil.

Here's an example one from Altronics but that's 240V AC coil and I suspect you have 110V AC mains?

The one you showed is a SSR which is used the other way around; a DC trigger turning on a mains circuit.

DrNeutron

David_AVD said:
No, what you want is a good old electromechanical relay with a mains AC coil.

Here's an example one from Altronics but that's 240V AC coil and I suspect you have 110V AC mains?

The one you showed is a SSR which is used the other way around; a DC trigger turning on a mains circuit.
Thanks for clarifying, I figured as much, just wanted confirmation.
Thanks for the link, it gives me what I need to find a comparable part.
If I can't find any locally, I may just get a DCSSR from DIYLEDEXPRESS and use it off one of my REN32 outputs.
It doesn't sound like too many people use an AC controller to run the strobes.

P.S. Yes my mains are 110v, same as good 'ol USA :D

DrNeutron

To resurrect this thread, I have a REN32 (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ren32#Hooking_Up_the_REN_32). Could I not use one of the output jacks directly to signal the strobes on and off using an output channel and signal ground? Would I just have to run the negative of the strobe to signal ground and then run positive of strobe to +5v of power supply and run the negative of the PS back to signal ground?

DrNeutron

Well I tried wiring things up like this:
strobe_trigger.jpg
Once I apply power to the renard the strobes will begin to strobe. If I keep PS on and just disconnect from renard they stop.