Closed ACL 'MK2 fully-built' aka MK3 strobes (ends 3-Aug-2015) CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk buy close date
Aug 3, 2015

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The ACL MK2 strobes are now available fully built and sealed up ready to put a cover on, connect up and set epileptics off. BenBrown is organising these to be built in China and exclusively available through this bulk buy.
I have tentatively called these ACL Mk3 strobes as they are based on the Mk2 but are fully built units.
They are sealed as per standard pixels and all that is required to run them is applying 5V either direct from power supply, via a relay or off a dc channel of a dimmer. If using a dimmer then it is recommended that a capacitor is added to the channel as not all dc dimmers turn on 100% and it can cause the circuitry to reset. (details will go in the wiki on how to connect things up)
  • String of 50 draws between 1.2A and about 2.5A depending on how the timing of the "random" flashes works out.
  • The supplied cable is heavy enough to run a string of 50 without any power injection or anything
  • A long length of lead wire isn't supplied as the requirement will vary depending on the installation. The choice of wire will depend on the length that it needs to be.
  • The prototype string has grey and grey/stripe wire. Hopefully I can get this changed to red and black or another set of non-similar colours.
  • Spacing between strobe nodes is nominally 200mm and all strings will be made at the same spacing

Pricing is expected to be
$US37.50 for a string of 50 strobes at 20cm spacing. This is dependent on getting sufficient interest.
$US45.00 for a string of 50 strobes at 50cm spacing. This is dependent on getting sufficient interest.
$US10.00 for 50 C9 covers to suit strobes.

The C9 covers do not need to be ordered if not desired.

Delivery is not included in the price. Shipping will probably be to 1 location in Australia and 1 location is USA and distributed from there. Shipping costs will be worked out after numbers are organised.

The bulk will will run between now and Monday 3rd August 2015 9am Australian EST. Any payments not made by then will not be included. Delivery from China is likely to be around the last week of August.

The strobes will ONLY be available through the bulk buy and won't be available after this date unless a further bulk buy is organised.

More info will get posted here as I get to it.

The video shows about 30 of the string of 50 sitting on concrete with no C9 covers on them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4rG0QL11k&feature=youtu.be

The photos don't do the sealing justice.

Alan

20:23:54) benbrown: (whispers) AND ONE THING, PLEASE MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I WILL ONLY DO THESE IN THE BULK BUY.. I DONT WANT SOMEONE COMING LATER ON TO SAY I SHOULD DO HIM/HER 1 STRING OR 2 STRINGS..
[attachimg=5]

Attachments

• ACL-Mk3 strobes.JPG
    ACL-Mk3 strobes.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0875.JPG
    DSCN0875.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0876.JPG
    DSCN0876.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • DSCN0877.JPG
    DSCN0877.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 105
  • Strobes-30-Jul-2015.jpg
    Strobes-30-Jul-2015.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 305
Last edited by a moderator:

Boomer#6

No magic smoke yet!!
Brilliant Alan!

Put me down for:

2 x strings of 50 strobes, [50cm spacing preferable]
No covers.

I presume these will run merrily off your 2811DC15 Dimmer?

Cheers, David

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There was some discussion on offering 2 spacing sizes of 20cm and 50cm . For me i want the 50cm because using 20cm spacing to fill up a roof is too close of a spacing. 20cm is fine if using on trees and such but no good if filling up an area with strobes.

So will a 50cm spacing version be on offer because the 20cm version is no good for my needs

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
BenBrown was going to get back to me on pricing for 50cm spacing. Being twice as much cable it will be dearer and there is also the chance that the wire may need to be heavier. The person who has the strobes was going to measure the voltage drop with 20cm spacing and get back to him. He may have forgotten :D

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I understand it will cost more but as far as 50cm spacing with 50 strobes then i believe this will be OK because my home made strobe strings use a larger spacing and uses 14/020 wire and still works great . The load on the string is very low because at any given time there are only a few lights lit up at the same time.

adski

Dave Brown
I agree. If we can have 50cm spacing, I'm in for 2 sets strobes plus covers.
Thanks for the effort, Alan.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.