Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk buy close date
Aug 3, 2015

Charles Belcher

New elf
Fasteddy said:
djgra79 said:
My understanding was that the PCB in each strobe was programmed incorrectly so that they all start the same time, not randomly, unfortunately.

There was also several versions of firmware with different timings that were used in the DIY version and also a trigger circuit. But even with the different firmware they still all started close together and only looked random after the first few flashes, the only way to have complete random was to use the trigger and have the chip powered up.

Fasteddy,

So if there are only grey and white wires, is there a way to get inside to connect a wire to the trigger pin?

Charles

Skunberg

Full time elf
If you want the style with trigger and programmable pic, I could trade. I have some I didn't wire up. Just seems like a shame to open the sealed ones.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Charles Belcher said:
Fasteddy said:
djgra79 said:
My understanding was that the PCB in each strobe was programmed incorrectly so that they all start the same time, not randomly, unfortunately.

There was also several versions of firmware with different timings that were used in the DIY version and also a trigger circuit. But even with the different firmware they still all started close together and only looked random after the first few flashes, the only way to have complete random was to use the trigger and have the chip powered up.

Fasteddy,

So if there are only grey and white wires, is there a way to get inside to connect a wire to the trigger pin?

Charles

Not that I know of and would be a lot of work because you would have to remove the covering which would then compromise the water proofness.
Give them a go and see if they will still be suitable for your needs

Charles Belcher

New elf
Skunberg said:
If you want the style with trigger and programmable pic, I could trade. I have some I didn't wire up. Just seems like a shame to open the sealed ones.

Skunberg,

I tested the strobes tonight and think that they will work as long as there are plenty of other lights running at the same time and people don't have to "just" focus on the strobes.

Thanks for the offer, but I am going to go with the ones I have this year.

Charles

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I have an idea on how to get these strobes to turn on in a randomised state, but don't have any units to test.

If someone wants to send me a string to play with, I'm happy to see what I can come up with.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have an idea on how to get these strobes to turn on in a randomised state, but don't have any units to test.

If someone wants to send me a string to play with, I'm happy to see what I can come up with.
Popped my strobes in the mail this afternoon. Should be there next week :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
My initial testing of the strobe strings has been fruitful.

By turning them on at around 2.3V, they will start randomising but not be visible.

Snapping the voltage between 2.3V and 5V effectively turns the LEDs off and on.

Because the supply voltage doesn't drop to zero, the randomising function doesn't restart each time.

So, would most people have run these strobes from a DC controller output (on/off only) normally?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I'd run from a dc controller yes, but if that channel is off, would there be no voltage down the line?
How would we control to turn them off and on via a controller?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
My idea is for a small PCB that takes 5V from your main power supply and a channel input from your DC controller.

It would then have an output that provides the switched voltage to the strobe string.

When the channel is off, the output to the string would be 2.3V and when the channel is on, the output to the string would be 5V.

The current draw for the 50 node string was hard to measure reliably, but seems to be approx 2 Amps worst case.

Once the strobes are randomised the average current draw drops considerably.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
What's the interest from ACL members for a PCB to do this function?

My guess is that I could sell them for $10 each. They'd be supplied fully built.

Postage via a 500g red bag is around $9 but more than one board fits in a bag.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm interested!! I'd probably take 2 at that price, thanks David :)

Status
Not open for further replies.