ACL Strobe Light Controller

Brettus

Brettus
Hi,

What is the best controller to use for these lights. I dont have any controllers yet and am needing on to do the 5v.

Recommendations???

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Brettus said:
Hi,

What is the best controller to use for these lights. I dont have any controllers yet and am needing on to do the 5v.

Recommendations???

You really can use anything, I use mine with a 12vdc relay connected (as that controller uses 12vdc) to one channel as you only need on and off, so you could even use an AC controller if you drive an AC relay from 1 channel. You can also connect it straight upto any DC controller even if the controller voltage is not 5vdc. Refer to the wiki example 2 or 3 from this wiki page link , just ensure you dont use dimming or shimmer or twinkle effects

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
I'm just trying to get my head around running the 5v strobes on a 12v controller. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60010181/Strobe%20Connections.docx
Just wondering if I have this correct? Using option 3b on the strobes with a trigger line, do I wire the 12v PSU +ve to the board then connect the -ve to the 5v PSU -ve which connects to the board. The strobe power connects direct to the +/- of the 5v PSU and then the trigger line connects on the channel output?
Does the trigger line need to connect back to anything?

drzman

New elf
I have mine triggered by a Ray Wu 27 channel controller.

Strobes are constructed as 3 wire, +ve, -ve, and trigger line (option 3b I think).

The controller is running at 12v, controlling some flood lights.

The +ve on the strobe is connected to a 5V power supply. (so it is always powered as long as the power supply is on)

The -ve on the strobe is connected to a terminal block along with the -ve outputs from all my power supplies. (a common common rail :) )

The trigger line is just connected to one of the controllers channels.

When the channel is turned on the trigger line is pulled low (down to ground) and triggers the strobe.

As stated above both power supplies must have a common ground (-ve) for this to work properly.

Your picture looks fine, your -ve eventually gets to the controller :)