Closed ACL Strobe Mk 2 bulk buy - ends 12 September 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bulk buy close date
Sep 12, 2014

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have tested the board down to 3.6V I think it is. What is more critical is that you don't exceed 5.5V as that will let the magic smoke out of the PIC micro.
How you configure the Ray Wu board will affect the output voltage you get out.
You will have to send 100%, 0% to turn the board on and off as dimming it will confuse the hell out of the poor micro and potentially damage it.
I was going to just fill the pixel sleeves on mine with silicon and have debated on filling the sleeve with polyester resin but planned on experimenting with it 1st.

nzlongfellow said:
Alan, I can test OK on straight 5V DC supply.
When I connect to a Ray Wu 27 Channel DMX controller and have 4.72V outlet supply it will not fire......... ???
Are they critical for 5VDC?
What is the voltage range?

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Am trying to drive the strobes through the 27 Channel board.
I note the boards are 7V - 24V. Does that mean it will not operate at 5V?
Should I run at 24V to the board and use Buck Converters as I cannot get the strobes to fire. Funny enough they fire when I connect and disconnect the GND.
I am slaving the 27 Channel off the DMX output from a Pixlite 4. I have connected only Data +ve and -ve between the boards and not the GND but still no joy.
I get a steady 5V out but no strobe. Strobe works if connected directly to the 27 channel supply power.
I have the set up with me but stuck in a motel out of town, again[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font] :'( , so limited as to what I can change.
Am reading back Posts on "27 channel controllers" to see if there is anything there.

AAH

I've got a pounding headache so you won't get too much sense out of me. The 27 channel board requires about 8V for it to work without modification. You can mod it to work off 5V if you really have to. If you have a higher voltage available then you can run the 27ch board off 8V or higher and connect the strobes to 5V either through a buck converter or else a 5V power supply with the V- commoned. There's an example of how to do this in the wiki, in the ACL101 and also in all of my user manuals for boards.

Bird

LOR user
North American shipping update.
-----------------------------------------------------
$13 bdt
$19 roterhead
$13 tlh
$13 tmcteer
Should have received tracking numbers from PayPal
----------------------------------------------------
$14 drlucas
$21 DrNeutron
$13 arw01
$13 dougd
$13 rogerdc46
Sent tracking via PM Saturday
-------------------------------------------------------
$13 KenL
$13 loveroflife96
$13 Skunberg
Should have received tracking numbers from PayPal this morning
------------------------------------------------------
$13 imbluenote

dougd

Full time elf
Recieved my box of goodies 10 minutes ago. Thanks Bird.

Thanks again Alan for putting this together. Hopefully be testing a few of these by this evening.

cscool36

Full time elf
Hi alan,
Are you using the same hex files as the ACL Mk1?.
I have notice that there are less parts on the mk2.

Thanks

Colin

AAH

Custom written code for the new strobes as the original ones had the polarity reversed compared to these. Also couldn't get hold of the original source code and this one provides randomness the 1st ones didn't. One firmware for all strobes compared to the 6 different ones that were created for the TPR1 strobes. I do have a firmware that suits the TPR1 though that uses the same program but is inverted.

cscool36

Full time elf
I have 2 pcb boards left over from the mk1 and I can use less parts and a jumper to be the same as the mk2.
I have all the hex files for the mk1.
Will you be releasing the hex file for the mk2?.
Thanks
Colin

AAH said:
Custom written code for the new strobes as the original ones had the polarity reversed compared to these. Also couldn't get hold of the original source code and this one provides randomness the 1st ones didn't. One firmware for all strobes compared to the 6 different ones that were created for the TPR1 strobes. I do have a firmware that suits the TPR1 though that uses the same program but is inverted.

AAH

It's on my to do list. Put hex files up on the wiki, add more photos to the assembly manual, put Xmas lights up, build props, do some sequencing, do a little bit of work etc etc. Time just keeps getting away from me.

cscool36

Full time elf
Ok Thanks. Cant wait for the update on the wiki.
Do you have any spare pic and led drivers and leds that you could sell me.????????
I've just blow up 10 of my mk1 strobes so I am looking for more parts. I am on the element 14 web now looking for parts.

AAH

I do have some PICs. Both the PICs and the NUD led driver are available from Element 14. The prices aren't especially cheap as that's where I got the bits for the protos.

Status
Not open for further replies.