Adding Generic Artnet Device

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Most Port scanners will only find TCP ports as they use the 3-way handshake to detect the port is open. This is fine irrespective of what's at the other end of the port.
Lighting data is real time and hence it uses UDP as it's a much better mechanism for it.
UDP is connectionless, so does not have this hand shaking setup, data is sent to the port and of the app bound to that port decides to respond, that's the applications prerogative.

Because ArtNet is predominantly a one way protocol, even sending random data to the correct port won't illicit any form of response, so it'll always seem the port is not listening.

sackboy

New elf
Update 05/01/2024,

So after a few days solid tinking, I have my first demo working!

I went to Altronics today and bought some addressable LED's so I could do some testing.
I had an old lab power supply at home, so I hooked it up to 5Volts, and connected the Data pin of these lights to the first output of the Artnet controller.

I discovered a piece of Software called "DMX-Workshop" which allowed me to look a little bit deeper into the AliExpress Artnet Unit, which helped with some testing, and with I.P addressing the unit correctly.

Also, to the person who suggested I start a Universe "0", thank you! This fixed up a load of colour issues while I was testing.

I managed to get playback happening in FPP with Video and a Basic Single Strand FX.

I'm starting to see why this hobby can cost so much, it can be a bit addictive!

Little bit confused by the UDP Output error (See photo)but other than that a goodstart!

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Last edited:

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Update 05/01/2024,

So after a few days solid tinking, I have my first demo working!

I went to Altronics today and bought some addressable LED's so I could do some testing.
I had an old lab power supply at home, so I hooked it up to 5Volts, and connected the Data pin of these lights to the first output of the Artnet controller.

I discovered a piece of Software called "DMX-Workshop" which allowed me to look a little bit deeper into the AliExpress Artnet Unit, which helped with some testing, and with I.P addressing the unit correctly.

Also, to the person who suggested I start a Universe "0", thank you! This fixed up a load of colour issues while I was testing.

I managed to get playback happening in FPP with Video and a Basic Single Strand FX.

I'm starting to see why this hobby can cost so much, it can be a bit addictive!

Little bit confused by the UDP Output error (See photo)but other than that a goodstart!

View attachment 25182View attachment 25183View attachment 25184View attachment 25185
Good to see that universe 0 worked.
As for the UDP output, what e.1.31/artnet outputs have you set on FPP?
For example, this output page here under input/output setup and the e1.31/artnet/ddp tab as it seems you may be telling the controller to send info to itself, possibly for the matrix as it's the "FPP" labelled controller in your screenshot above, this won't be needed and if the FPP board itself is running the LED's, you should set that up under the Pi Pixel Strings tab (if using a raspberry Pi) Or BBB Strings on a Beaglebone based board/controller
AIP6r8x.png

sackboy

New elf
Good to see that universe 0 worked.
As for the UDP output, what e.1.31/artnet outputs have you set on FPP?
For example, this output page here under input/output setup and the e1.31/artnet/ddp tab as it seems you may be telling the controller to send info to itself, possibly for the matrix as it's the "FPP" labelled controller in your screenshot above, this won't be needed and if the FPP board itself is running the LED's, you should set that up under the Pi Pixel Strings tab (if using a raspberry Pi) Or BBB Strings on a Beaglebone based board/controller
AIP6r8x.png
I had a quick look, I don't remember setting anything up in here as most of it was handled by Xlights.

Do I need to turn something off?

Capture5.JPG

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I had a quick look, I don't remember setting anything up in here as most of it was handled by Xlights.

Do I need to turn something off?

View attachment 25188
Your output #1 "FPP" is sending data to 192.168.0.113, which is the same IP as your Raspberry Pi, up the top right "WLAN0: 192.168.0.113"

what you want to do, is go into DPIPixels-24 and set your leds up in there that are run directly from the raspberry Pi. Currently you are telling the controller to control itself, which it's already doing and hence why you are getting the red banner on the main page.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
What is the definition of you FPP controller on xLights? Can you post the screenshot of that right hand window with FPP selected?