Adelaide/SA Adelaide Mini 2012: Saturday June 23 2012

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
As the days tick away it would seem like there are no plans for an Adelaide Mini in 2011.

I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread for a 2012 Adelaide Mini to see how many people are out there are interested.

Please note I am not personally offering to host such an event however like the Brisbane Mini, nothing will happen unless the idea extends from the chat room into the forum for discussion.

Based on the lighting enthusiasts I know, Adelaide's computer-control Christmas community appears to be by majority (but not exclusively) LOR-centric. Any experiences, tips, etc not relating to LOR would be an added bonus here (e.g. DMX fixtures with LOR, anything pixel related).

Is there anybody out there interested in participating in an Adelaide Mini? Are there any specific dates that appeal to you? What topics would you want discussed? Better still is there anybody willing to offer a venue for the event (depending on numbers it could be a house like in earlier years)?

Dates that would be best avoided due to other state mini's are:
  • June 2 - 3 2012 [Melbourne]
  • June 16 - 17 2012 [Brisbane]
Speak up now... :)

The locked in date is June 23rd 2012 (one day event).

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Re: Australian Adelaide Mini Interest 2012

Deleted as the dates have changed and I dont wish to influence the locals on when they should have their mini

mrpackethead

Full time elf

lithgowlights said:
Well, I'd like to put forward a date as an idea. Melbourne Mini is proposed for the 9th & 10th June 2012, with a display build a couple of days before that. I'd realy like to be there for the build and mini, so a trip via South Aus would not be a big deal (Except the 1200 extra km lol). If it could be the sunday before (3 June 2012) I could actually do it with ease with just 1 extra day off work.

I doubt I would add much, but as an out of towner with 3 official, 1 unofficial Melbourne, and 2 Sydney mini's under my belt by then, plus 5 years worth of animated displays and (hopefully) over $10K raised for charity in a town of 11,000 people, over 4 of those 5 years, I think I could offer something to the Mini.

Just a thought for now, but have a think about it

Hey lithgow, sorry mate, i put everyone wrong.. Melbourne mini is the 2/3rd ( first weekend of june )

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

lithgowlights said:
Well, I'd like to put forward a date as an idea. Melbourne Mini is proposed for the 9th & 10th June 2012, with a display build a couple of days before that. I'd realy like to be there for the build and mini, so a trip via South Aus would not be a big deal (Except the 1200 extra km lol). If it could be the sunday before (3 June 2012) I could actually do it with ease with just 1 extra day off work.

I doubt I would add much, but as an out of towner with 3 official, 1 unofficial Melbourne, and 2 Sydney mini's under my belt by then, plus 5 years worth of animated displays and (hopefully) over $10K raised for charity in a town of 11,000 people, over 4 of those 5 years, I think I could offer something to the Mini.

Just a thought for now, but have a think about it

You definetly have lots to offer any mini you attend and you are giving some talks at this years Sydney mini. The more that can go to interstate minis the better it will be for all that get involved, we all learn from eachother. :)
I hope it can be accomodated for you but to some it may feel too close to eachother and the hype of the previous mini may have not dissapeted yet.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer

Yer i would pop alone an drag the miss's an weston lights to it,
(the miss's an weston might have to come kicking an screaming)

Westons Lights

Westons Lights

If there was room for the kids, then I'd bring the whole family along... that is if they wanted to go too...... either way, I'd turn up regardless.

I would suggest trying to plan it during some holidays, but I do understand that it will be a difficult task either way.

COUNT ME IN...... just keep us up to date with proposed dates :)

GO ADELAIDE!!

xmaslightshow

New elf

I'll be there...

and can provide the venue if you want...

Sunnybrae Function Centre @ regency park..
if I get plenty of notice..

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator

Hi Ed,

I'll add you to the list of people expressing interest.

That's excellent about the venue offering! Thanks.

Now we all need to collaborate on some discussion items, potential demonstrations, and decide on a weekend date.

Who would like to put their hand up for speaking/demonstrating a topic? Which topic might that be?

Some topics which initially come to mind that could be discussed are:
  • FM Transmission (discussion/show and tell) - the legalities, where to get a transmitter and which transmitters to avoid
  • Introduction to RGB (demonstration) - covering LOR cosmic colour devices - the ribbons (weston/ed?) and bulbs, plus other generic pixel strips (trevor?)
  • Where to get lights, cable, etc in Adelaide (discussion, maybe guest speaker from Aztronics)
These are just a few ideas to get the ball rolling. I'm sure there are many more topics which would be beneficial.

Back over to you lot!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator

smartalec said:
how many LOR'ers will be there

That shouldnt really matter as a mini is more than just about the controllers, its about the creations, ideas and knowledge that each person brings, from no knowledge to long time vetrans will all be there. its also a great place to meet fellow members face to face.

xmaslightshow

New elf

My suggestions for discussions / practicals...

sequencing
/ effects
/ beat tracks
/ controlling motors
/ cosmic ribbons - effects and sequencing
/ Megatree - colours-effects

laser displays
controlling smoke machines
disabling function controllers
wire frame manufacture
/ frame welding
/ designing for lights
planning your display
megatree programming

Maybe at the end we could all go home with a wire frame of some decription.
Most of the time would be practical demonstration (eg controlling motors etc)..

add to that from Ryans list..
Music
/legalities of playing - APRA
/legalities of broadcasting - ACMA
/FM broadcasting (types of radios, power vs range, antennas)

That would make a weekend of it.. (make it worth while for those that have to travel)

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator

Nice list you have there Ed!

I'd add the following few things:
  • General demonstration / tips for Light-O-Rama Software Suite S3 (specific to S3, such as visualiser or super star softare)
  • Demonstration of Vixen 3 (if released in time) as it is a complete rewrite and not like Vixen 2 at all apparently
  • If somebody has done it, demo of LSP controlling generic rgb strip and/or pixel strings (non CCR without the macros)
  • Show and tell of the DC48 DMX 48 DC channel board, if one of has one. Alternatively trevor could show his TigerDMX 48 which is also a 48 DC channel board, on DMX. The DC48 works out cheaper than a LOR CMB16D-QC on a per channel basis, and now that the advanced tier of S3 supports native DMX output there's no hurdles in the way from using a board like this.
Oh, I'm guessing the smoke machine control could extend to say, snow machines?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer

There would have to be a section on the many wonders coro can be used for.
Im not fussed about walking away with a made project, but learning how there done would be easyer.
maybe sharing of website's, where people got there howto info from eg http://www.robives.com/mechs