Advise Need for First Computerised Light Display

Brettus

Brettus
Hi Guys

Just thinking about my light show for this year and am just wanting to get peoples thoughts on my idea plan for my software and controllers. This is my idea for a set up so far -

2 or 3 - AVD DC48 48 Channel DC Controller (DMX Input).
2 x Switchmode Power Supply 30V 240W (I have 31v Rocket leds that i bought from masters)
2-4 x Switchmode Power Supply 24V 13A 312W
1 x Light-o-rama ShowTime PC CTB16PC. Partially Assembled

I has thinking for software, i was going to run Light Show Pro Advanced.

What other hardware, a side from cat 5 cable, will i need to purchase to make this setup work.

Next year i was thinking of getting into RGB's as well.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Robbo

Full time elf
I see you are looking at the
Brettus said:

I have a couple people looking but not currently committed at a couple of my boards I have for sale http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1711.new;topicseen#new

another member is coming to look at them on Tuesday and another from NSW has expressed interest also.....but what I'm saying is ask around as there maybe someone else that could be or thinking of offloading some of their AC controllers as they start to put their low voltage products on a DC board

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you already have the LOR dongle then you can use that as an open DMX dongle with the LOR S3 advanced software. If you dont you will at very least need an LOR dongle to be able to setup the controller number/start address for the LOR PC controller unless you just use the controller as the default address of 1.

If you dont have any dongles then another option to look at is using Vixen sequencing software instead, its free and supports E1.31 controllers and DMX bridges. This would allow you to expand in the future as the ECG-DR4 E1.31 controller gives you 4 DMX universe outputs (total of 2048 DMX channels) and is great value at $145 compared to traditional single DMX dongles

Brettus

Brettus
Robbo said:
I see you are looking at the
Brettus said:

I have a couple people looking but not currently committed at a couple of my boards I have for sale http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1711.new;topicseen#new

another member is coming to look at them on Tuesday and another from NSW has expressed interest also.....but what I'm saying is ask around as there maybe someone else that could be or thinking of offloading some of their AC controllers as they start to put their low voltage products on a DC board

If the person coming doesnt buy them off you let me know, where in NSW are you???

Brettus

Brettus
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
If you already have the LOR dongle then you can use that as an open DMX dongle with the LOR S3 advanced software. If you dont you will at very least need an LOR dongle to be able to setup the controller number/start address for the LOR PC controller unless you just use the controller as the default address of 1.

If you dont have any dongles then another option to look at is using Vixen sequencing software instead, its free and supports E1.31 controllers and DMX bridges. This would allow you to expand in the future as the ECG-DR4 E1.31 controller gives you 4 DMX universe outputs (total of 2048 DMX channels) and is great value at $145 compared to traditional single DMX dongles

So the LOR Control requires the usb controller. Does the other controllers require the use of a USB controller at all???

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Brettus said:
So the LOR Control requires the usb controller. Does the other controllers require the use of a USB controller at all???

The LOR boards use the USB485 USB adapter to get the LOR signal from the PC.

You can use that same LOR USB adapter with LOR S3 Advanced to drive LOR boards in DMX mode as well as driving other DMX input controller boards, such as the DC24, DC48, etc.

The LOR USB485 USB adapter and LOR boards use a different CAT5 wiring pinout than other brands, so you need a cheap adapter connector/lead when mixing the two different wiring systems.

Brettus

Brettus
David_AVD said:
Brettus said:

The LOR boards use the USB485 USB adapter to get the LOR signal from the PC.

You can use that same LOR USB adapter with LOR S3 Advanced to drive LOR boards in DMX mode as well as driving other DMX input controller boards, such as the DC24, DC48, etc.

The LOR USB485 USB adapter and LOR boards use a different CAT5 wiring pinout than other brands, so you need a cheap adapter connector/lead when mixing the two different wiring systems.

Aren't i able to use the light show pro with the LOR products??? Do i have to use the Lightrama software to drive there boards??? Does the Lightrama software have support for RGB Pixels???

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Brettus said:
Aren't i able to use the light show pro with the LOR products???

You can, via a DR4 Ethernet to DMX converter and an adapter lead. You can in theory use a USB dongle, but support for some of them is broken in LSP right now. (soon to be fixed)

Brettus said:
Do i have to use the Lightrama software to drive there boards???

No, you can run the LOR boards in DMX mode. LOR software is only required if you want to run them in LOR mode.

Brettus said:
Does the Lightrama software have support for RGB Pixels???

Yes, but only their own CCR products as far as I know.

Brettus

Brettus
David_AVD said:
Brettus said:
Do i have to use the Lightrama software to drive there boards???

No, you can run the LOR boards in DMX mode. LOR software is only required if you want to run them in LOR mode.

IS there any difference between using LOR modes in DMX mode rather then in LOR mode???

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Why are you using the LOR board, is there something in particular that you which to run of it. Personally I would dump the LOR Board and get a DR4 which will remove the need for a dongle

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Brettus said:
Is there any difference between using LOR modes in DMX mode rather then in LOR mode???

LOR controllers running in native LOR mode can make use of the "twinkle" and "shimmer" effects in the LOR software.

Other software emulates them on the computer side. I'm not certain if twinkle and shimmer is emulated in LOR software if you are using the DMX output (instead of LOR output).

Brettus

Brettus
Beacy said:
Why are you using the LOR board, is there something in particular that you which to run of it. Personally I would dump the LOR Board and get a DR4 which will remove the need for a dongle

I want a 240v controller thats why i want the LOR controller.

So if i purchase the VR4 Controller that will also run the DC48 as well??? If so if i add that to the shooping list then i should be set for next year with the items i have above???

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Is there something in particular you wish to run on the 240V controller, as 240V floating around the front yard with lights is adding an element of danger, nothing will ruin your display more that someone getting zapped. I do not run anything on 240V for that reason.

The DR4 is a DMX distributer I run 2 of them and about 8 AVD 48's off them and a number of Tiger 48's ( no longer available).

LOR runs it's own protocol which is not DMX, for reasons of locking people into their software and hardware. This year was the 1st time that they allowed DMX to also run out of their system. I suppose what you need to think about is why a number of the more experienced members are selling or planning to sell their LOR gear this year (sorry guys don't mean to screw up your sales).

I suggest you read this before you run out buying stuff [SIZE=78%]http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1672.0.html[/SIZE]

Brettus

Brettus
All the 240v lighting i intend to run will either be under the eaves or inside the house. I have quite a few Rope light silhouettes that i have been running on the windows and on the garage door that i would like to work with the music. Everything else(roof, gardens, front lawn, etc, etc) will be low voltage stuff.