Alphapix and xlights

LightMyPath

New elf
I have a F16v4 and alphapix classic 16. Both are connected to my home network through pi zeros running FPP. The F16 is running great with my gateway setup through the FPP on xlights. It shows green light on the controller tab and I can access the controller configuration through my browser/xlights.

My issue is I cannot connect to the alphapix classic controller. I set it up the exact same way and am able to turn on the lights through testing the FPP but xlights shows it red and cannot connect. I also cannot access the controller configuration page. I am out of ideas on getting it online. pictures attached to show current setupScreenshot 2023-12-02 215017.pngScreenshot 2023-12-02 215035.pngScreenshot 2023-12-02 215103.pngScreenshot 2023-12-02 215112.png

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
So hmm. What is your show network IP range?
It looks like you are using 192.168.250.x and 192.168.1.x and 192.168.240.x

It it were me, I would put all my show assets in the same subnet. That is all the first three numbers would be the same.

Is the show FPPs and controllers all wired together?

What are the settings for IP forwarding?

BTW, this could solved quickly in the zoom room. Click on the zoom room (top right) off the xlights.org page and raise your hand.

LightMyPath

New elf
I feel like this is something simple that I am missing. If I can't get it I will try the zoom room.

home network 192.168.1

falcon controller through FPP that works
FPP wan 192.168.1.240
FPP Eth 192.168.240.100
controller 192.168.240.1

alphapix classic not connecting
FPP wan 192.168.1.250
FPP Eth 192.168.250.100
controller 192.168.250.1

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
What did you set for the gateway on the alphapix?

What is the FPP setting for IP forwarding? I suspect your Falcon FPP is forwarding of some kind while the Alpha's FPP is not.

I am guessing your sequences play fine, you just can't upload your config to the Alpha or get to the webpage directly?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I'm with Mike, why are you using different sub-nets?
have you tried the alphapix on the same subnet 192.168.240.x

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Why are you using two different FPP instances is my first question?
One will drive both controllers. Then you can just drop both controllers on the same segment as mentioned .240.x) and your complexity disappears.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
From a network perspective however, the two main things to check is that FPP Megatree has up forwarding enabled, or the alphapix is not using 192.168.250.100 as it's default gateway.

The PC appears to be routing the subject correctly as it's forwarding to the FPP instance as needed.

LightMyPath

New elf
What did you set for the gateway on the alphapix?

What is the FPP setting for IP forwarding? I suspect your Falcon FPP is forwarding of some kind while the Alpha's FPP is not.

I am guessing your sequences play fine, you just can't upload your config to the Alpha or get to the webpage directly?
I left the gateway blank. You can see it in the original screenshot.

set to forwarding.

LightMyPath

New elf
Why are you using two different FPP instances is my first question?
One will drive both controllers. Then you can just drop both controllers on the same segment as mentioned .240.x) and your complexity disappears.
I was trying to keep everything wireless and not run ethernet across the yard.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I left the gateway blank. You can see it in the original screenshot
I dont see an alphapix screenshot above.

If you did indeeed leave the AlphaPix gateway blank, that would be the cause of the issue. It's must be populated with the ethernet address of the respective Pi, 192.168.250.100

LightMyPath

New elf
From a network perspective however, the two main things to check is that FPP Megatree has up forwarding enabled, or the alphapix is not using 192.168.250.100 as it's default gateway.

The PC appears to be routing the subject correctly as it's forwarding to the FPP instance as needed.

LightMyPath

New elf
I don't see anywhere in the alphapix configuration page that would allow me to set a gateway. If I plug the alphapix ethernet directly into my laptop I can change the properties in the ipv4 but I am not sure if that is doing anything in the controller. If I can't touch the gateway in the controller I will try and change my eth network on FPP to same network as default for the controller.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
If the Alphapix doesnt have a place to set a gateway address, then you wont be able to access it from anything that is outside the same physical network segment. Nothing you modify will be able to fix that.

The only way to make that work would be to set it up FPP to run as a proxy - so
1. Configure the AlphaPix IP within FPP under Status Control/Proxy Settings
2. Set the FPP WLAN IP address in xLights on the Alphapix as the "FPP Proxy IP/Hostname"

You can then click the "Open" button at the bottom of xLights which should push via FPP to the Alphapix.