Anet A8 - Cheap 3D Printer

marmalade

cats & pixels
looks like a decent printer for the size. Was 60C the recommended bed temp for ABS? Only ask because the flashforge defaults to 110C, and never had a print come off the bed with this value.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
No it's still open at the moment so I'm printing PLA, and I do PLA at 210-215/60c, and ABS at 220-225/90-100

Juz89

New elf
lithgowlights after reading this post I have decided to purchase an A8 printer just after some info on where you got your mosfet from and also where do you source your filament from?

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Yep you sold me. I want one. So do I need two mosfets? Link please ?
What upgrades have you made to the A8 ?
Should I maybe look at a steel frame for rigidity ?
What size power supply upgrades were needed?
Thanks lithgow

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I used a 12V Ray Wu PSU as the original one that was provided was running at its limit. I tested it at 100% load before using it and it failed so I used a Ray Wu 350W PSU I had here

A8 upgrades - I'll add a pic - everything white (Except the bits at the end of the X axis) are additional prints

the AM8 costs about $150-200 and is apparently great. It wont fit in my LACK table enclosure so I decided not to bother, but it's an option to consider. I know Chris Garrett (a mate from Canada) did it and was very happy with the results

IMG_1205[1].JPG

You can see the 2 verticals above. this stops horizontal movement and it easy to add as you build the printer, but I did have to file/dremmel a little to get it to fit perfectly
IMG_1206[1].JPG

X axis belt tensioner. I do suggest buying new belts as the one supplied are basically extruded plastic, and decent ones are much better and less likely to stretch. Cost: $20 or less

IMG_1207[1].JPG
Front section stiffener and belt tensioner. This stops the plastic at the front bending over time due to the Y belt tension.
IMG_1208[1].JPG
This is looking down, and the only "black" print I did. It basically does the same as the previous one, but at the back end - holding the motor area and stopping it from bending forward due to the Y belt tension.
IMG_1209[1].JPG
Small 3D Printed SD card holder. The A8 uses a USB connection, OR a micro SD card. I personally use SD cards on all printers, so this $10 extender allows easy use of full size SD cards on the top of the printer
IMG_1210[1].JPG

This is the Heated bed Mosfet. In reality the A8 has a MOSFET on the board, but it, and the connectors, are pushed pretty close to the limit and thats typical cost-cutting we see from China. A $12 MOSFET simply allows me to move that high current item off the main board and it's connections, thus minimising the chance of thermal failure due to over current. I printed a little holder for it

fxxxrr

New elf
worried about anyone who drinks red wine in the shed and not beer or bourbon LOL

Had my Anet A8 for about a month now... a few teething problems, but that helped me understand how it works :)
Would suggest this machine as a start, great fun :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
lithgowlights after reading this post I have decided to purchase an A8 printer just after some info on where you got your mosfet from and also where do you source your filament from?
If you want a cost effective filament you cannot go past this mob.
https://ccdiy.com.au/pla.html
I have tried a lot of the other "cheap" filaments and the last roll I got off one of them I could see the bubbles in it. They would soak up moisture very quickly and become so brittle they would snap often straight out of the box.
I tried the filament from the above link and first thing I did was tied a knot in it, no snapping. I then printed some complex parts which came out almost perfect. I have since bought 7 more rolls and am down to the last 2 with no complaints.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Also, on a side note. These people sell 3d printer pens. I never thought I would want one, but saw a video of someone installing a board into a project. It was mounted in a 3d printed enclosure and he used a 3d printer pen to build up a support and "glue" the board mount in. So he uses a 3d printer pen as a glue stick!
I am going to get one as I broke our last hot glue gun and have plenty of small amounts of filament left over that are too short to make anything useful.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I no longer have my A8, with it on loan to a guy at work at the moment, and then when I get it back it will head to Ben for a new permanent home. I needed the room for the CR10 and Tevo Little Monster :D