Another New Guy Looking to Get Started

cjriddick

New elf
Hi All! I've been researching on and off for about a year, and I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm starting to build out the gear list and budget for 2021. Could you guys take a look and let me know what I'm missing? Here is a link to a spreadsheet I'm working on:
View: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cX-eokoXofQochJ88SfrZJ8wdkA_q1WtYz-QL1sbJVY/edit#gid=0

Hoping to get everything ordered over the next couple of weeks so I can start building and learning. Also, attached is a pic of the small setup I'm looking to start with. Appreciate any help you guys can provide!

(Controller will be mounted inside garage, need a lot of help with 12v power supplies count and injection stuff)
Christmsa Map 2021 (1).png

Jay.S

Full time elf
Those trees are 85 nodes plus 20 for the star, so 105 pixels each. You may be better of ordering custom strings. Note that quite a few people have reported difficulty with wiring these with standard strings (especially the bottom as they get wider at the base). You may want custom spacing between node 85 and 86 (leave more room between tree and star). Otherwise be prepared to do quite a bit of splicing.

Speaking of which, depending on what kind of tools you already own... I would say you need to budget for a good heat-gun and a good soldering iron. You will be needing copious amounts of heat-shrink (in various sizes), clear silicone, wire strippers, side cutters, crimpers, screw drivers, utility knife...

It's hard to figure out what wiring will cost locally, count on about 2 dollars per pair (male/female) of pigtails.

Hope that helps.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
For the trees, ETOP LED sell pixel strings ready customised (they do for a few other props too) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001431487265.html 105 pixels with extra wire for the base section. May cost more per string than standard 100 count, but no need for splicing and re-wiring which saves you time; and probably money if you cost solder, soldering iron, heat-shrink, heat shrink gun etc etc.

Pigtails $5 for 10 pairs (or $8 if you want longer wire)

Not sure how you're planning on wiring to the 2 pixel wrapped trees but you may experience power and data transmission issues with that distance.

What Jay.S said -most people forget to include cost of tools and consumables

cjriddick

New elf
Those trees are 85 nodes plus 20 for the star, so 105 pixels each. You may be better of ordering custom strings. Note that quite a few people have reported difficulty with wiring these with standard strings (especially the bottom as they get wider at the base). You may want custom spacing between node 85 and 86 (leave more room between tree and star). Otherwise be prepared to do quite a bit of splicing.

Speaking of which, depending on what kind of tools you already own... I would say you need to budget for a good heat-gun and a good soldering iron. You will be needing copious amounts of heat-shrink (in various sizes), clear silicone, wire strippers, side cutters, crimpers, screw drivers, utility knife...

It's hard to figure out what wiring will cost locally, count on about 2 dollars per pair (male/female) of pigtails.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I've been buying up tools, so I think I'm pretty good there, but what are your thoughts on power supplies for 2000 pixels? Would the 1 in the controller plus two additional be enough? Also, how much and what type of wiring and cable should I get (a rough estimate would be great)? And how do I go about ordering custom strings? I'm not afraid of brushing up on my soldering skills (worked in a guitar store as a kid and built many a cable), but would love to get a close to "ready to run" as possible to save time and frustration.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
And how do I go about ordering custom strings?
see my previous post :)

or contact the seller direct but you have to be very explicit in what you require - details of common suppliers
NOTE: currently I personally won't recommend Ray Wu.

Power:
12 V Pixels generally are rated at 0.6W so 100 pixels = 5 Amps current draw. A 12V 350W power supply can output 29A. 5 strings of 100 pixels = 25A, thus 500 pixels per power supply. Thus 4 of 350W power supplies to run 2000 pixels.
NOTE: this is a conservative figure and based on running them at 100% brightness, which hardly any one does.

Jay.S

Full time elf
From your spreadsheet I can see you are going 12v. On 100% you will need 4 (theoretically) - It's a bit of a judgement call, you never really run 100% white for any length of time. The formula: x * .06 * % = A required. This will give you 2000 pixels * .06 amp * 100% = 120A. Divide that by 30A (360W at 12v) = 4. But again, you probably don't need that.

Jay.S

Full time elf
Power:
12 V Pixels generally are rated at 0.6W so 100 pixels = 5 Amps current draw. A 12V 350W power supply can output 29A. 5 strings of 100 pixels = 25A, thus 500 pixels per power supply. Thus 4 of 350W power supplies to run 2000 pixels.
NOTE: this is a conservative figure and based on running them at 100% brightness, which hardly any one does.

SNAP!!

TerryK

Retired Elf
Putting distances on the home photo will help. Perhaps wire gauge sizes too for the power injection. Pixel types and number of helps too; bit easier than having us reverse-link to your selection. The pixels you indicated are 18 AWG Regulated which is good. The formula that Jay mentioned is what I use (NbrPixels * AmpEach * DrvLvl) other than I use either .05 or .055 rather than .06. This will get you in the ballpark for supply requirements. Pixel drive level too. I design for 80% but that is really really bright (the evil side of me sometimes whats to flash the neighborhood). Most individuals indicate drive levels in the 30% plus a bit range.

Something that is difficult to explain and is not often mentioned is particular implementations of power injection and supplies and their capacity do not always fit together well. That is, rather than adding another 'x' supply, it is sometimes better to obtain a lesser quantity of larger capacity supplies. As such, supply selection is usually later.

I am not a fan of custom strings as it seems something always needs adjusted. I would suggest pixels in 100 pixel strings and shorten/lengthen as needed. Also, being in the US, you might look at RGB Man for the pixels. Wired Watts is good for the pigtails/connectors. I use Meanwell RSP supplies and it is a toss-up between Mouser and Amazon for cost. Amazon supplies most of my 'little' items; fuses, power blocks, heat shrink, and such. A lot of individuals use xConnect connectors, I started to and have moved to something different that 'fits' me better.

Jorge Bolivar

Full time elf
Thank you! I've been buying up tools, so I think I'm pretty good there, but what are your thoughts on power supplies for 2000 pixels? Would the 1 in the controller plus two additional be enough? Also, how much and what type of wiring and cable should I get (a rough estimate would be great)? And how do I go about ordering custom strings? I'm not afraid of brushing up on my soldering skills (worked in a guitar store as a kid and built many a cable), but would love to get a close to "ready to run" as possible to save time and frustration.
In reference to the PSU,
You mention 1 PSU for the controller; your above list describes it as a Falcon F48 V2. This controller just requires a 5 Vdc 3 Amps power supply to operates. I do have mine powered up by and old beard trimmer power supply that has the barrel tip. That there save you one of the mean well PSU for power up a differential Smart receiver or power injection if desired.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.