Another newbie for 2015

Bumpy2020

Apprentice elf
Hi Guys,

I have been lurking here for awhile now (Was originally going to do 2014 Christmas but didn't get off my HoHoHo)
Since Christmas I have been reading and looking at options daily

For 2015 I'm planning on doing the following out of RGB (single addressable LED's) (Links below)
* Under eves with 4 x 5050 SMD C9's (I'm hoping using the newer SMD's and being under cover to not have the technicolor pixel issues)
* House outline with strip (Including roofline)
* Small Mega tree of some sort (Once I find an easy way to fabricate it) ~2.5mtrs but able to write text (Or a matrix for text)
* ~7 Spiral / mini trees
Which elements I get to build, will depend on how much the wife lets me spend (She is already onboard with RGB's)

For the controller I think I've decided on the Pixlite16 (Its locally made and can control a lot of pixels
I will need a 5v power supply and maybe a 12v if I go WS2811 pixel nodes on the mini tree/mega tree
Software will be Vixen3 (Been watching lots of videos on how to use it)

An initial question I have is, how does strip look when on the roof and you cannot see the LED face directly due to the angle?
Using it on the angles on the roof itself, not gutter. Does anyone have a video of this ?

As a noob I feel sure I will have alot of silly questions over the next few months as I plan everything out and get my first test order in

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Welcome to ACL
Always glad to see another Victorian joining the ranks. The ACL 101 and the Melbourne mini are great sources of info.
The Technicolor pixels have had a bad rep so far which is a shame as they are a good concept that appears to be poorly executed.

gerry

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL ! Where about's in Victoria are you ?

I cant say about the angle for the strips, mine are flat against the wall/facia.

12V is more tolerant from a voltage drop perspective . I have used 12V 2811 throughout for the strips .

If you have longer runs for the outlines, consider the J1sys P2. (I have them plus the Pixlite 16 for the mega tree). A smaller version of the Pixlite 16 is the Pixlite 4.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome29.gif

JPB

Full time elf
I am using these 2801 lights with C9 covers under my eaves http://www.aliexpress.com/item/WS2801-IP68-led-pixel-module-with-faceted-C9-cover-white-IP68-50pcs-a-string/491475466.html
and have them mounted inside square ducting (25 x 25 white ducting from bunnings or electrical wholesaler sprayed black ) This keeps them nice and straight and speeds up set and strip down.
The pixels themselves are in no way suitable for exposure to water but used like this they are well protected.

I have a tree of around the size you are considering built using Ruprects design and using these pixels.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-DC5V-input-WS2811-LED-pixel-light-with-all-BLACK-wire-IP68-rated-epoxy-resin-filled/1821855394.html
Because these pixels are epoxy filled they are much better suited for exposure to the weather and I had zero failures this year in a wet December.
I have the string of 50 folded in half so that the tree is 25 pixels high. 10 Strings or 20 slices depending on how you want to count.
You can see the tree in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkaP8z64K3M&index=1&list=UUEhesLYmKOIDvom8flJgD-A
This is the link to Ruprect's tree guide http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=3711.0

Jon

Attachments

• strip1.jpg
    strip1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 18

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, glad you have now made the commitment for 2015

When mounting strip on the roof you first silicone little plastic cable tie holders on the roof line on the flat edge facing the street. Then you mount the strip with cable ties to 25mm electrical conduit, then mount the strip and conduit on the roof and cable tie to the plastic cable tie holders and then slightly face towards the street.

The result for me was great as can be seen in this video
Fasteddys 2012 Colour Christmas Show on Vimeo

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Bumpy

First the disclaimer
Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

Sounds like you may have, but just in case, if you haven't found it yet, the new revised 2nd addition AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for all things RGB and more. :)

When you have your final shopping list put together run it past the friendly folks here.
That small process can save to time and $$.

Bumpy2020

Apprentice elf
Thanks Guys

Fasteddy,
The strip looks good, even those going on the diagonal which was my concern
I like your candy cane's, do you have any details on these ?

I have read the 101 manual over and over, and it is a great source of information for us beginners