Another newbie from Newy

franky_888

Full time elf
I'm thinking that Newcastle might be next years most improved area judging by all the newcomers posting in this forum from the Newcastle area (myself included).

I currently live in Medowie (about 30 mins north of Newcastle) and have been lighting my house up over the last 2 years since we moved in. First year involved only icicles around the gutters, this year I added some coloured strings around the pillars / balustrades, windows and doors. Yesterday I packed up this years effort, and while I'm still in that festive mood I'm here to get a start on next year's effort, mainly due to the fact that I'll leave it too late to start next year :p

My background is in IT, however, while I was still in school I did an introduction to Electronics as an elective, so I have a limited understanding of electrical components and how to solder etc, so hopefully that comes in handy (it definitely helped when it comes to installing car radios and repairing headphones!)

I jumped on chat a little before Chrissy, but from what I gathered my plans may not be as straight forward as I'd hoped. I'd like to start with synchronising all of my current strings (bypassing / removing the existing controllers), then maybe after that I can move into the pixel strings that are all the rage these days. Baby steps are good for me!

Habbosrus

Back again
Awesome, another newy from Newy. We're coming out of the woodwork. Welcome to ACL. You should definitely be able to get something going with your current strings. I used one of Alan's (AAH) 2811dc15 boards to drive my BigW lights this year. You've definitely got a good start on 2014.

dale82

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL, trust me you don't need any sort of background to create something spectacular. I have no background in anything at all, This Community has helped me through all my problems, so pop into chat and ask away :D

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome60.gif

greg58

Full time elf
Welcome Franky, I'm in Thornton, not too far away. You should see if you can plan to go to the Sydney Mini this year, it's a great time to meet people and put a face to a name.

firebug

Senior elf
greg58 said:
Welcome Franky, I'm in Thornton, not too far away. You should see if you can plan to go to the Sydney Mini this year, it's a great time to meet people and put a face to a name.

Hello neighbor, we are from Bero... ;)

firebug

Senior elf
Definitely mate. We dragged Santa around Summerset Dr on the fire truck on Chrissy eve. You may have inadvertently seen me already. ..